Wednesday 5 March 2014

My own cute puppy…

Well, it was worth a try. Sometimes writing the words keeps him away and sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes hiding behind pancakes and quizzes, gardening, even poetry, can keep his bark at bay. But if he’s coming he’s coming; even though I never call him. I don’t know why he comes when he does. It’s almost as though he lets me think he’s gone just so he can come running out of the undergrowth when I least expect it. Of course I’m used to him turning up. I can see the warning signs. My mood changes, I get snappy, I tire; and I’m sure that knowing helps me to manage him.

But it doesn’t scare him off.

Sometimes he’s big, sometimes he’s small. But whatever his size he’s always black and he never greets me with a lick. This time he seems to be around medium size. He’ll stay as long as he wants, feeding and growing if I let him. I don’t want to let him, but there’s only so much self-management a body can do, the rest, the outside influences, are random chance and opportunist kickings. Water off a ducks back? If only that was how I worked. Maybe I can throw a stick and make him back off for a while. If I throw it hard enough who knows?

He’s outside the door now, barking to come in. I’m not going to open it.

12 comments:

  1. Tim Preston on FB
    this will pass. oh yes and this. and this will as well and .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew Height
    Might only be here for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clare Pritchard on FB
    I hope he buggers off soon x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kingsley Roberts on FB
    Black eyed dog - he called out my name - stay strong - here if you need me - take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew Height
    He's outside the door at the moment. I'm not letting him in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon Taylor on FB
    Andrew Height, he may be at your door because the Black Dog has been at my door and I managed to shoo him away through years of practice, maybe he roams through the family?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew Height
    I don't know anybody that doesn't get the occasional visit. But I have noticed that creative people see him more than most.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clare Pritchard on FB
    He visits me ocassionaly but i've got to make sure he never gets a grip of my trouser leg..... because when he does get me he has a nasty habit of latching on....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue Mcnally on FB
    aww oh dear andy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kevin Parrott
    No.. !

    Kevin Parrott
    Winston Churchill had a black dog.

    Andrew Height
    We all do Kevin. Mine is a viscous bastard - truly the Hound of the Baskervilles.

    Kevin Parrott
    Try to keep the door closed on him if you can, however....... Churchill not only refused to submit to his black dog, he was able to use it to his advantage.

    Fraser Stewart
    Yes but Churchill had the Germans to distract him.

    Kevin Parrott
    Yes, he had Fraser... however, I just stole a quote....
    Psychiatrist Anthony Storr described how Churchill used his experiences of depression to inform his political decisions: “Only a man who knew what it was to discern a gleam of hope in a hopeless s...See More

    Fraser Stewart
    Wonderful quote.

    Andrew Height
    Don't mention the Germans

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nick Jennings on FB
    persistent unfortunately

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fraser Stewart on FB
    I only mentioned them once.

    Fraser Stewart
    But I think I got away with it.

    ReplyDelete