Tuesday 18 March 2014

Sympathy for the devil…

I was listening to a best of the Stones album a couple of days ago (well, when I say listening to it was there in the background) and began wondering who Mick was seeing these days now that Bianca and Jerry are history - which just goes to show what a huge Jagger fan I’m not. I was going to Google it, and then out of nowhere the answer was presented to me in LARGE BOLD CAPS.

I’d never heard of L’Wren Scott until I saw the pictures of a grief stricken man leaving a restaurant in Perth in the papers.

L’Wren had business problems, in debt for the tune of around £5 million, but she was beautiful, talented and had a boyfriend worth hundreds of millions. Why would she hang herself? For a moment my vanity caused me to think that maybe my wondering about her was the trigger. Obviously it wasn’t, people don’t drop dead simply because they cross my mind, so what could it be then?

Of course I don’t have the answer any more than I know why Tony Hancock, Ruslana Korshunova, Dana Plato, Michael Hutchence, Amscel Rothschild or any of the hundreds of other celebrity suicides took their own lives. It seems that even the rich, beautiful, and famous are as vulnerable as any of us ordinary folk. Sometimes I wonder if we all have that particular darkness inside us.

So the Australian tour is rightly off and we are all left wondering why. Death will know, but he's not telling and why should we expect to know anyway? It isn't our business. Not anything to do with us at all. It's between Death and L'Wren, even Mick is just a spectator in this particular dance.

That devil Death, it would seem, has many guises; but suicide has to be his blackest suit of all

7 comments:

  1. Andy B D Bickerdike on FB
    Maybe couldn't get no satisfaction?..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy B D Bickerdike on FB
    I feel sorry for her PA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew Height on FB
    Me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul Whitehouse on FB
    We all have the self-destruct button within us Andrew.....it's just a question of whether to push it or not.
    Haven't you ever been somewhere like a railway platform or top of a tall building and thought ....just one small step now and it would all be over??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark McNicholas on FB
    You have to be pretty desperate and devoid of all hope to terminate your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Richard Shore on FB
    Suicide is complex and is rarely the result of a single factor. And there is a world of difference between thinking about suicide and wanting to be dead. The truth is that nobody will ever know why she did it, and that's probably the hardest thing for those close to her live with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ian Maclachlan on FB
    Please don't allow me to cross your mind... Damn!... Uurrgghhhh h h

    ReplyDelete