Saturday 1 March 2014

A message from Dark Town...

Ah, St David’s Day once more. I don’t write much poetry these days, some might say that I never did or should have, but there are some days that deserve special recognition, when nothing but a poem will do, and today is one of them. So to celebrate this day, for one reason and not another, here’s a poem. Best read it out loud.







Unfinished In Dark Town

I’ve seen you around in Dark Town
Kicking and thrashing things held dear
Marking your ground like a bombardier
Rubbing away at your gonorrhoea
Faking a smile or crocodile tear
Spitting out blood and trembling in fear
At a whispered word in your old man ear
As you piss down on another’s beer
All spittle lipped and dirty leer
At some young kid or passing queer
Offering chips when they pass near
They know you well in Dark Town
They know your stench, can tell your mood
As you fuck suck up your favourite food
Claiming that you’re misunderstood
Badly damaged in childhood
That all your sad is really good
And though it shouldn’t you make it should
Not changing couldn’t into could
And doing all this in thick cold blood
You turn clear water into mud
And all for the cross of womanhood
You can hide where you want in Dark Town
You can call the police or change your number
Sneer at girls out on a bender
Breathe in their smell and make ‘em shudder
Even play the great pretender
But keep on looking over your shoulder
As you lie and cheat and steal and moulder
Cos one day when you’re not much older
I’ll tell her the things I never told her
Spoil the shine of her tin-pot soldier
And leave her world a great deal colder
I’ll be there like a blowtorch
And I’m gonna burn ya
In Dark Town.


9 comments:

  1. Lindsey Messenger on FB
    a good poem....straight from the heart I guess? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew Height
    I only write this way when it is, unfortunately. Besides if it was ever read by the owner it would fall on both deaf and stupid ears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David West-Mullen on FB
    picture could even be a Blue Nile cover....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew Height
    I guess it could Dave. I've also read the poem out aloud in my best John Cooper Clarke voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. David Bell on FB
    Great poem

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew Height
    Thanks David. I might write more.

    ReplyDelete