Wednesday 19 March 2014

Sixty words…

According to some people the focused attention span of an average adult is just 15 seconds. Not much more than a goldfish who can manage 9. Of course goldfish can’t read, whilst the average adult reads at between 250-300 words per minute, that’s about 4 words per second. It started me wondering if I could sketch out a little scenario in less than 15 seconds, the length of an adult’s attention span. This short story is only sixty words long and should take you less than 15 seconds to read. Let me know how you do and if you know what happens next please tell me, because I don’t.

The Reader.

Of course it wasn't true, but then the truth seldom is. His job was to sort the truth from the chaff; although unfortunately truth was on holiday and chaff was just the name of a bar where he always seemed to get blindingly drunk. As he reached for yet another book he wondered just where he’d left that whisky bottle. 

2 comments: