Friday 7 March 2014

Early morning palaver…

I awoke this morning just as Frankie Howard declared ‘Ooooo, what a palaver!’ He was sucking in his cheeks, turning himself into a curly haired aging cherub as he winked at me and then popped like a bubble. Just why he said this and why he was at the edge of my consciousness as I awoke, I have no idea. But he left this world, as I re-entered it, with his voice still ringing in my ears like a bell.

Frankie Howard - a palaver indeed. Ding-dong!

Anyway, it’s stuck with me all day and, as I do, I found myself Googling this and Googling that, trying to track down the meaning of the word and whether or not Mr Howard ever used it. After a lot of surfing, I’d found no hard evidence that he was a palaver user; but he must have been mustn’t he? After all, it is such a Frankie Howard type of word. I can just imagine him taking his time and drawing it out with that distinctive throaty croak at the end: ‘Ooooooo, what a PALAAAVERRR!’

I’ve heard this word used regularly and I use it myself sometimes. But I tend to use it to mean something like ‘kerfuffle’, a hasty happening or scuffle leading nowhere but stand-off, with lots of bluffing and blowing along the way. In fact, according to dictionary.com and the OE dictionary, the word palaver is defined as ‘a conference or discussion’. I didn’t know this, and in my 30 years of sitting in pointless, boring, far too long meetings with basically stupid people discussing basically stupid things (me being one of them on both counts), I never heard anyone refer to a meeting by using this word.

So it’s a confab, a pow-pow, a colloquy, a parley, a conference, a stakeholder meeting, a roundtable, a brainstorm, a thought-shower, and not an Elizabethan skirmish with doublets and rapiers as I’d imagined. It isn’t even English. It derives from the Portuguese ‘palavra’ meaning ‘speech’, specifically between Portuguese traders and West African natives in the 18th century. Even so, the built-in Word thesaurus gives palaver’s alternatives as: irritation, pain, annoyance, pest, bother, trouble, and irritant. So perhaps it was one of those bloody meetings after all.

By the way, did you realise that the only half-decent rhyme for palaver is cadaver?

Thanks Frankie. Your few words this morning have sent me on yet another wild goose-chase that’s soaked up most of my day. Ooooo, what a………. nuisance

12 comments:

  1. Martin A W Holmes on FB
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sI-momYnq5k

    The Typhoo One Cup Advert featuring Julie Walters
    www.youtube.com
    http://www.typhootea.co.uk/ Julie Walters shows to get better value from your tea with the Typhoo One Cup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew Height
    Indeed Martin A W Holmes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martin A W Holmes on FB
    Kind of from "our era" - although it was always "machine" brews back then, I recall...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richard Shore on FB
    I feel almost certain that Frankie will have said palaver. There is something wrong with the world if he didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard Shore on FB
    Btw, is that painting one of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew Height
    It's a digital piece Rick. I sometimes make them and then translate onto canvas. OI may do this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bernadette Doyle on FB
    Just sent someone an email and used the word palaver - very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrew Height
    Isn't it though Bernadette Doyle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Martin A W Holmes on FB
    I did wonder whether the expression might feature in the "Two Elephants" monologue written for Frankie by Eric Sykes. but I'm struggling to track down a full version of it. It does have that "1950s/60s BBC comedy" vibe about it though, although perhaps more "Round the Horne" or "Hancock" than Howerd... Guess I'll have to keep digging...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrew Height
    What a palaver Martin...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrew Height
    I'm sure he used it in Up Pompeii Martin A W Holmes

    ReplyDelete
  12. Martin A W Holmes on FB
    That sounds about right, and would make sense... let's boot up the History Machine, Scooby, and head over TO THE ARCHIVES!!!

    ReplyDelete