Friday 5 April 2013

The blue parrot...

For a while there I was Humphrey Bogart, these days I’m Sydney Greenstreet.

Not that was anything wrong with Mr Greenstreet, he was a perfectly fine actor and elegant in his own rotund sartorial way. In truth though, for a while back in my late teens I was almost Humphrey Bogart. Of course I wasn’t an actor, nor was I a middle-aged philandering American; but I had the hat and a trench coat and eventually I learned to like smoking cigarettes.

Yes, it was Humprey Bogart that persuaded me to start smoking – that and the sudden departure of the (then) love of my life.

“Play it once Sam, for old times’ sake, play ‘As Time Goes By’.”

I could take it, and with that I lit my fist cigarette and didn’t look back for over twenty-five years.

For a while I played at being the hard-drinking, smoking, cynical Rick Blaine type; and then slowly, as life poured oil on my already troubled waters, I became one. It’s funny how things creep up on us.

I’m not quite sure when my metamorphosis into Signor Ferrari began though although I do remember one murder party in my twenties where I went dressed in fez and white dinner jacket, calling myself El Grosso Fez and speaking with a quite ridiculous Eyygyyptian accent.

Even so, I’m sure that I had the Bogart in me into my early forties - almost another song there, not quite, but almost.

Anyway I’d settle for being Sydney Greenstreet, swatting at flies, spending the rest of my days in that other bar in Casablanca, The Blue Parrot… and wait… and wait… and wait.

9 comments:

  1. Kevin Parrott on FB
    I like your blue parrot Andy, it's quite wonderful.
    You must remember this, he never said 'Play it again Sam', it was 'You played it for her, you can play it for me!'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard Shore on FB
    You're not half as cynical as you like to think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard Shore on FB
    BTW, that picture is staggeringly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin Parrott on FB
    Richard, I've always believed that most of it is a front. The cynicism that is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard Shore on FB
    The quote in Andys blog was said by Ingrid Bergman, I think

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew Height
    I know Kevin (about the quote) and thanks for the compliment. He also said what I wrote (moves glasses to the side and slaps Earnie's face).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew Height
    Correct Rick. The line was originally Ricks but in the end Ingrid spoke it I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kevin Parrott on FB
    Quite right, my mistake... what a clip.
    http://youtu.be/1-BSt2fM9V8

    Play it Sam, Play As Time Goes By.. Ingrid Bergman, Humphrey Bogart, Frank Sinatra sings, Casablanca
    www.youtube.com
    Play it Sam, Play As Time Goes By, Ingrid Bergman, Humphrey Bogart, Frank Sinatr...See more

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrew Height
    Enough to bring a tear to a glass eye Kevin.

    ReplyDelete