Tuesday 23 April 2013

South Stack lighthouse and other matters...

When we set out we had no idea it would be so far down. So when we arrived, meandering our way from the car park across the cliffs, and saw all those steps winding their way down the cliff face like a snake, I knew that my knee wasn't up to it.

My knee is the current bain of my life. It used to be my back, but it seems that the pain imp has now taken up residence in my knee. Some days it isn't too bad and then others...

Still, no use crying over spilled milk and I've no one to blame but myself. Or so my wife tells me; and yes I really should lose some weight. Sometimes I wonder why I need the internet. After all, if I need any questions answered, even unasked and unprompted ones, she's always there and more than happy to give me the benefit of her infinite wisdom.

It rarely works for me though. Just this morning as she whizzed around the kitchen, thumping down cups and being generally dervish and all out of sorts. I asked what was wrong (mistake number one) and she responded by telling me that she was running late and 'as I already knew' hated feeling rushed.

Of course, wishing to help I suggested that she could overcome the rushing which 'as I already knew' made her grumpy in the mornings by getting up a few minutes earlier, twenty minutes even.

Yes, I think you may have spotted mistake number two. I really should have known better; the skies darkened, the waves whipped into a boil and all at once that long walk down those steps didn't seem a bad alternative at all.

The pain of my knee was as nothing when compared to the ringing in my ears and the pain in my head that followed my silly suggestion. By the time she had left, slamming the door behind her, I would have happily hobbled my way down and then back up if only as penance for my own stupid erring.

Just look at that sky and the colour of the sea. I really enjoyed the peace of that view, even if I didn't manage to get across to the lighthouse.

4 comments:

  1. There's a museum in the lighthouse with glass display cases. In one of them is a rusty old horseshoe with a piece of card that bears the legend "This object was thrown at Yvette Fielding in the wash house when filming Most Haunted."

    It doesn't say whether it was thrown by a ghost or one of her film crew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...love reading your blog! KF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Has it never occurred to you that Gaynor's being ultra-annoyed isn't so much about the rush-around, as it is about y-- Never mind. For a minute there, I forgot how partial you are to one-sided relationships. LOL Off with you, then. Go ahead, enjoy "sleeping" in the "bed" you made! LOLouder

    God, I'm hard to shake, aren't I?! Believe it or not, I miss you, Puckymeister.

    ReplyDelete