Wednesday 24 April 2013

My day at Manchester Met (well, not my day really)...

Excuse my enthusiasm, I'm not used to it either, but Manchester Metropolitan University is such a great place.

I’m sure that this type of thing didn’t exist when I was of the age. In fact I know it didn’t. Back then educational establishments weren’t as focussed as they seem to be today. They were more homespun, a little more like the next stage of education. What you would expect them to be really. Oh I’m not saying I didn’t have fun, but I could almost feel the excitement and electricity as it hummed around campus today. Even I believed anything was possible in a place like that and I’ve been dealing normality and humdrum for most of my life.

What was I doing there? Well, unfortunately for me nothing that involved me ‘hands on’ as they say. But I was there as a ‘tagger on’ as my daughter had a look around. She’s decided to do English and creative writing (HurraH! Double ‘H’ intended) and Manchester Met seemed to be one of the places to do it. Now I’m easily pleased but it didn’t take much to convince me that MM was a really great place to study and it seems that my daughter did too. I think that a decision has been reached.

How I envy her that challenge. No, not envy, I’m jealous as hell and at one point seriously found myself considering impersonating her and turning up in September in her (much disguised) place. Of course, it wouldn’t have worked. After all, it’s not like I could really lock her up in the cellar for three years.

Could I?
No, of course I couldn’t.
Sure?
Yes. You know she’d escape.
Shame.

So I sat through the very interesting lecture and then joined in with the writing workshop. I won’t tell you too much about the workshop but suffice it to say I found myself enthralled. But more of that and why I’ve posted this painting to illustrate my ramblings another day. Today was not about me. Well almost not. What was it Frank Sinatra sang: ‘Regrets I’ve had a few’? Well, I’ve had a few and a few more and a few more after that, and today only rubbed salt in the wound, twisted the knife, kicked a man when he was down.

Yes… I could have been a contender! If only I’d have:-

a) known
b) tried
c) been encouraged
d) got off my arse and made it happen.

Is it too late I wonder? And as that same old voice, the one that has always crushed my hopes and stolen my dreams, answers ‘yes’ I’ll sign off.

11 comments:

  1. Kevin Parrott on FB
    It's never too late!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      You say that Kevin because you don't age, give in, and are right!

      Delete
    2. Andrew Height
      You say that Kevin because you don't age, give in, and are right!

      Delete
    3. Kevin Parrott Just looking back at photos of me just five or six years ago, my God I've certainly aged. Then I was just turned 60, now 70 isn't far away.......
      However, up to just over a year ago I hadn't picked up a guitar with any commitment in over 30 years, and really didn't think I could do it again.

      Delete
    4. Kevin Parrott
      I guess it's the putting weight on that's aged me, and the hair going more grey.
      With regards to the guitar, I never really picked it up much since about 1982. It just used to lean against the wall in the hall. When we formed the band last year I thought, go for it....... it's now or never.

      Delete
    5. Ian Maclachlan
      Listen to Kevin. I don't know anyone more well equipped to make things happen than you. Colleges are full of possibilities. It is easy to see why they enthuse and inspire.

      Delete
  2. Vicky Sutcliffe on FB
    Never too late Andi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma Cholmondeley on FB
    Yep, never too late

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue Mcnally on FB
    i agree

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even if you just attended a course as an end in itself I am sure you would find it enjoyable. I think you would inspire your fellow students.
    Kevin, I have my first gig in over 30 years next month. I've already got stage fright but it's great.

    ReplyDelete