Monday 29 April 2013

Phone box...

I still find myself looking for phone boxes, a habit I picked up long ago when it was still best to know where the nearest one was just in case of fire, illness, accident (including childbirth), or a win on the football pools.

How much simpler things were back then: our world much smaller, communication a face-to-face or posted and delivered thing. Yes, back then a trip to the phone box was a rare and exciting event, a wonder even. I have happy memories of making late night calls from rain splattered phone boxes; calls to friends, conversations with lovers, arguments with home - apologies, happy birthdays, goodbyes, Childline. Only joking, it didn’t exist back then and even if it had I don’t think I’d have been brave enough to go to a phone box on my own.

It’s hard to find a phone box these days. With mobile phones in every pocket and bag it seems the need to ring people from a draughty, smelly booth has almost vanished and with it the boxes themselves. Such a shame, a loss to communities all over the country.

I remember a filthy night in Wolverhampton, my face as wet with salty water as the small glass panes that reflected my not quite twenty smooth-faced self. Years later, another phone box in the furthest reaches of North Wales, a place to watch the sun set and make Nan calls with a small, just-talking daughter. Years before, and ‘Push button B’ on a cold winters night outside a pub I was too young to drink in, calling a taxi I couldn’t afford to pay for. It never came, and I staggered a long and fuzzy walk home. Other nights, warm, at the crossroads late, yellow light coming on when I opened the door, attracted moths fluttering around me. “Can you come and get me?” I stuck out my thumb and walked.

There was a time when homes with land lines were few and far between, the home telephone as big a luxury as ice cubes. The phone box was the only way for most to make a call on those few very few occasions that a call was needed. It’s hard to believe these days that there was a time when you could go months without needing to use the phone, but when you did there was always a queue. There was a real sense of community in the queue as people exchanged the reason for their particular call, and having to use the telephone seemed to make them feel special.

That was it probably. You only made telephone calls when you had to and usually for the ‘nasty’ and not the ‘nice’. After all, the ‘nice’ lived just around the corner and they didn’t have telephones either. My Gran in Lincolnshire did, but she was evil (it must have been genetic) and she was rung only when it was expected or there was a favour to beg.

When did it all change I wonder? Why do we all need to be on the phone continually when in the past we never seemed to? I find myself using my phone because I have minutes to use and it would be ‘wrong’ to not use them. I end up making calls I don’t really need to make from a phone I don’t really need at all. Does anyone really care that I’ll be home in ten minutes? After all I’ll be home in ten minutes and I can talk then, not that I have much to say.

Phone boxes, they were great places to shelter from the rain and how I miss their comforting presence. In my mind they are still painted red and the glass isn’t smashed. The telephone book is never torn or missing, the receiver is attached to its cable, the floor is vomit free and the tiny silver metal ashtray is never completely full. No wonder I can’t find one when I need to make a call; I’m not looking inside my head.

20 comments:

  1. We used to have to go to my Auntie's round the corner if we needed the phone. It was only in emergencies and for special occasions. If you wanted to call Uncle Jim in Australia to pass on news of births deaths and marriages you had to book a line in advance and you were connected by a posh sounding operator. There was a five second delay and it cost a fortune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and party lines - they had to be the weirdest things.

      Delete
  2. Simon Parker on FB
    A red what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Not you Simon. You can almost remember wind up TV!

      Delete
  3. Sarah Rawden Red phone box is Ziggy Stardust to me :o) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Me too, I used to hang around one pretending to be him.

      Delete
  4. Vicky Sutcliffe They are white in Hull and still used! Red ones my family sold in the hundreds to the US, packed in 40ft containers at a tidy profit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Andrew Height
      Hi Vicky... wonder if I can do the same with Portaloos?

      Delete
  5. Mick Norman Like this? http://pinterest.com/pin/68117013083724373/

    bar
    pinterest.com
    BRITISH RED PHONE BOX CONVERTED INTO A DRINKS CABINET/BAR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      I do Mick. In my early teens I once spent a night in a phone box after a few at the not so very local. Woke up at five and got a lift home on a milk float.

      Delete
  6. Paul Whitehouse on FB
    Only for sex with a prostitute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindsey Messenger on FB
    we still have a red phone box outside the townhall...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharon Taylor on FB
    tell me more about the evil Gran in Lincolnshire, and funnily enough I see phone boxes everywhere I go and wonder who uses them as they seem so lonely, unused, and clean, I suppose because they are never used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height I think it was who you were Sharon. I don't think our grandmother much liked me, never really approved - mind you I don't blame her I'd have probably taken the same stance given the circumstances.

      Delete

  9. Barbara Balding on FB
    yeah, I remember - we use to "tap dial" on it to get free calls!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vicky Sutcliffe, Liam Reeve and Andy B D Bickerdike like this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Martin A W Holmes on FB
    http://www.prlog.org/11886575-uniquely-british-ltd-announces-150-restored-british-red-telephone-boxes-with-worldwide-shipping.html

    Uniquely British Ltd announces 150 restored British Red Telephone Boxes with worldwide shipping | PR
    www.prlog.org
    Uniquely British Ltd announces 150 restored British Red Telephone Boxes with wor...See more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      I'd rather we keep them even as rain shelters. Post boxes next I think.

      Delete
    2. Martin A W Holmes
      A bit like the "scrappage scheme" cars, I'm unreliably informed that there are fields full of the things somewhere and that nobody really knows what to do with them. Put 'em back, say I...

      Delete
    3. Andrew Height
      Where are they? Beautiful cars just waiting to be restored. I'll go for a Mk 2 Jag.

      Delete