Sunday 28 April 2013

Early morning inside my head...

I’m not very good at taking lie-ins; I have to force myself to stay in bed. This morning was no exception, but I was helped by the fact that we had a brief and total power cut last night which played havoc with my alarm clock. So this morning when I awoke, probably at around half five, I had no idea of the time as I can’t read my watch without my glasses and I couldn’t be bothered to put them on.

Now usually waking at this time means a couple of hours not going to sleep before I get out of bed sometime after seven but before half past. It’s not that I don’t want to go back to sleep, it’s that I can’t as everything on my outstanding list parades across my mind – and it really is quite a list including things to settle that go back years and jobs that, if I were to fix them, wouldn’t be needed now anyway.

Apart from the day to day ‘must do does’ and ‘have to do’ items are a long list of ‘unfinished businesses’. Yes my unfinished business list is as long as a flexible arm and if I ever manage to get through it not only will I be surprised but I’ll probably be in jail.

But back to this morning. The alarm clock not working and my watch being no more than an almost invisible decoration upon my arm enabled me to convince myself that it was much earlier than it actually was. I slept for a while, fitfully and full of strange dreams, waking every now and then as one of my lists tried to force itself on my brain. Each time a ‘to do’ or ‘must do’ or ‘unfinished’ popped into my thoughts I managed to fight it back by convincing myself it wasn’t time to get up yet.

I convinced myself until nearly 9.30, practically unheard of for me. But that last hour or so was something of a struggle and eventually I had to put on my glasses and steal a look at my watch. Suffice it to say I was disgusted by my own laziness when I saw the time and leapt out of bed already aware that I had lost half of the day and my ‘to do’ and ‘must do’ weren’t going anywhere and needed to be attended to.

So here I am, the day almost gone with only a few of the things I ‘needed to do’ done, and none of the things ‘I must do’ done at all. What a waste of a day, I never caught up and now I’ll wake up all the earlier tomorrow as a result.

I don’t think I’ll bother with a lie in again.

3 comments:

  1. Emma Cholmondeley on FB
    That image was taken from inside my brain. However, not just a snap from early in the morning but every minute of every day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      I think that it comes out of a need to have everything in a neat little box Emma. That way there are no surprises. I've never really liked those and as for adventure...

      Delete
  2. Lindsey Messenger on FB
    must be a family thing...i dont do lie in,s either!! x

    ReplyDelete