Thursday 11 April 2013

Making faces...

I have been known to be standing next to my daughter at the checkout and not recognise her until she punches me on the arm.

I once sat opposite my a good friend in a pub and didn't see him until he addressed me with my nickname.

My wife flashed me (lights not boobs) in her car and I gave her the V's thinking that some bitch was having a go because I'd cut her up... need I go on?

Not seeing people is something I do very well. I know that somebody is there; it’s just that my mind doesn’t see the need to recognise who they are even when I know them. It’s very strange when it happens. I’m looking at somebody, they call me by name, and suddenly it’s as if a face has appeared where previously there was just a blank.

It happened to me again yesterday. A stranger came into my shop, she spoke my name and, putting my coffee cup down upon the newspaper I was doodling on, suddenly I saw who she was. We talked about shared acquaintances and times gone by for a while and then she left.

I wonder if the people I don't see aren’t there until I see them? Maybe they come in as blanks and leave with a face I've imprinted on them from my memory as I recognise them for who or what they are.

Who knows? Perhaps I'm making faces.

6 comments:

  1. Lynda Henderson on FB
    You're like the wind....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew Height
    How am I like the wind Lynda?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glynne T Kirkham on FB
    That sounds like the beginnings of a Dr Who episode.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew Height
    Now there is a thought Glynne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phil Ogden on FB
    Coffee stain? Or Jack Daniels?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew Height
    There may have been a dash of rum in it. Purely medicinal you understand..

    ReplyDelete