Tuesday 1 November 2011

Spindel by Hannah...

Remember this guy?

Yes it’s Spindel the donkey - well almost donkey, as you know he has the udder of a cow courtesy of an orange rubber glove. Spindel was the creation of Hannah, Number 2's (RickShore) very creative daughter.

Yesterday Hannah sent me this fantastic drawing of Spindel. I was amazed by the detail she’d put into it and the skill with which she’d drawn it. There’s the orange rubber glove udder, the spiky purple ball nose, the yellow sponge face, and yellowish plastic bag main – she’s even got the blue rope on his back.

Spindel alive on the page for all to see – 2 photos 16p or 10 photos for a pound. Hannah’s an astute business woman too.

It’s been a while now since I wandered down Criccieth beach and I’m missing it, but Hannah’s drawing brought it all back to me. What fun and frustration we had that day, building a donkey from beach flotsam and jetsam. A happy few hours spent as a child, with children young and old, and at the end of it Spindel the donkey standing proud for all to see.

I’ve dreamt of Spindel a couple of times since then. Once he was a smugglers donkey with kegs of brandy on his back and I was his pirate captain - ‘Shiver me timbers and pieces of eight. Splice the main brace, yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum – hic!’

Another time he was wandering on the beach alone at night and I was following. The stars were bright and he seemed to be heading towards the brightest one of all. I’m not sure where we were going but I knew I’d be happy when we got there.

And he’s out there somewhere still I think, on Criccieth beach, waiting for me to come back, maybe he’ll let me climb onto his back and take me off to that special place where I’ll be happy again.

Thanks Hannah. It’s a magical picture, Spindel’s a magical donkey, and you made him happen. I'll have to think of a way to repay you for the smiles you've brought me.

Follow your star.



10 comments:

  1. My Hannah Lily is a very clever little girl. Love you Lily, Aunty xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's fab Hannah. I love donkeys and I love Spindel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Spindel is great. I can feel some 'Tales of Spindel the Flotsam-Jetsam Donkey' coming on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma Cholmondeley on facebook:
    I love Spindel, he's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tricia Kitt on Facebook:
    I LOVE that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robert Mills on Facebook:
    I was going to say that it looked like Rik drew it, but it looks far too technical for him to have produced it ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vicky Sutcliffe on facebook:
    Made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liz Shore commented on Facebook:
    Liz wrote: "I love the idea of Spindel being a smugglers donkey - so does Hannah. Hannah has written letters to Spindel and believes he is still dancing around when the moon shines :) You both made something that lasted longer than the next high tide that day!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. and I wrote...

    Oh yes he did. He is with me still.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful stuff- really cheered me up!!!

    ReplyDelete