Monday 21 November 2011

Cow period...


I think I may be going through my very own Période vache.

‘Cow period!’ I hear the French speaking amongst you exclaim.

‘Yes, Cow Period.’

Let me explain:

René Magritte is arguably one of the most important and also, again arguably, amongst the most popular of the twentieth-century artists. Often he went against the flow of the artistic trends of his time, developing a unique and unmistakable pictorial language.

Well, he was both Belgian and a Surrealist - which is kind of an interesting blend of bland and ‘woah’! His work is of crucial influence to later generations of artists and his impact on today's visual culture is almost without equal. It wasn’t all bowler hats and fireplace trains though.

A fascinating period of his painting has passed almost unknown – his Cow period or Période vache.
I read about this in my dentist’s waiting room one cold December morning whilst waiting for some deep root canal work to be inflicted upon me. Whilst it didn’t take my mind off the pain from the abscess screaming under my poor tooth, it did surprise me. I’d never have recognised the reproduced paintings in the magazine as Magritte.

In 1948, Magritte made a group of paintings and gouaches distinctly different from the rest of his work for his first solo exhibition in Paris. He was trying a new, fast and aggressive style of painting inspired by popular sources such as caricatures and comics.

Within only a few weeks he produced about thirty entirely uncharacteristic works that caused an outrage in Paris. Magritte deliberately conceived this exhibition as a provocation of and an assault on the Parisian public and painted in an unexpectedly crude, playful, and intentionally "bad" manner, whilst reflecting his own work and painting in general.

This work still goes pretty much unnoticed and is rarely commented on today. I like it though, I like it a lot. I think that it’s some of his best giving short shift to those critics who mistakenly regard his paintings as far too familiar and far too easy to grasp.

Now, I’m not comparing myself to Magritte, but things get interesting when you work fast and loose in a crude, playful, and intentionally "bad" manner. Very interesting indeed.

That's me at the top by the way. The Magritte is below.

7 comments:

  1. I love that silly drawing of mine. It makes me feel whole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Bell on Facebook:
    What a talent - but don't waste the red wine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia Kitt on Facebook:
    I think this is a fave - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post - really like this one! Weird and wonderful:- never knew about la periode vache....! I visited Magritte's house in a suburb of Brussels back in 1999 - went there in a police car and back in an ambulance (think I might have told you this one, and no -I didn't imagine it!). Ceci n'est pas une pipe.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not Magrittes painting though, but Alec Kronackers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Floriaan, but this is not a pipe!

      Delete
    2. That's true akh, after all, a pipe is a pipe is a pipe is a pipe is a pipe ...

      Delete