Saturday 12 November 2011

Guardian angel...

I'm sure that there are times when we all feel that we have a guardian angel.

I'm equally sure that there are times when we all feel that we don't.

Once when I was a young man living in Birmingham, getting up early after working late, rushing out of the house bleary-eyed after a late night freelancing, running down the gulley, scarf flapping, floundering across the road and onto the busy dual carriageway, my guardian angel appeared.

Of course I never saw him/her. But I felt the rush of wings and the pull of hands as I was lifted bodily from the road and pulled back three feet to avoid the bus that I'd almost blundered into in my haste to reach the bus stop.

It must have been the candlelit carol concert from the night before along the Walsall Road at a church I can't remember the name of, but one moment I was in front of the bus as it bore down on me like a rabbit caught in the headlights of a speeding car, the next I felt the bus pass, the wind of its passing pulling the dog-tooth cap from my head and tumbling it along the gutter.

BLAHHHHHHHHHH. From the bus drivers horn. A scowl on his face as he passed full and not ever intending to stop.

I never bothered to pick up my cap. I just caught the next bus shaking.

9 comments:

  1. Lindsey Messenger on Facebook:
    really liked what a wonderful life. I believe we have a guardian angel. I know mum would always watch over "her girls" and now dad of course also. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Della Jayne Roberts on Facebook:
    It's tomorrow already; I'm 'Home Alone' with Oskar whilst J & T move their stuff into storage until they move to Hornsby - where Jed has started working at the new Apple store.
    We looked at 4 places yesterday - the last one had recently had a murder take place there (didn't know before we got inside!) ... One was ideal - keeping everything crossed. Hopefully their Guardian Angels are watching over them. :0) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie Arden commented on Facebook:
    Debbie wrote: "beautiful, I want one!!!!x"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsey Messenger commented on Facebook:

    Lindsey wrote: "love them and want one. so sent me same info that jeanette above asked......please x have you had an ok day x x"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeanette Jefferson-Brown commented on Facebook:

    Jeanette wrote: "Did you decide on a price? And where can we buy them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah Rook commented on Facebook:
    I know the name if my guardian angel...Tom....met him once in my bedroom at Derrydown Rd......

    Andrew Height: I think I met him on the stairs once Sarah. Was he tall with a moustache?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah Rook Tall on Facebook:
    yes, but cannot remember face.

    Andrew Height:
    He smiled at me when I met him. Made me feel good. I wonder who he was?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Catherine Halls-Jukes on Facebook:

    my 4 angels are coming...for 4 little angels thank you Andy
    ......and in the meantime Auntie Ally is a star for looking after Nae....my day is good...

    ReplyDelete