Monday 7 November 2011

First frost…

When there isn’t much to say, there’s always the weather to fall back on.

Is it a trick or do I seem to remember frosty early Novembers in my youth? I certainly remember walking to school, up North Street, down the High Street, along Southern Road and through the recreation ground, with the fields all frosted white and the hill down to the little bridge over Cuttle Brook a treachery.

With Halloween and Bonfire Night over my thoughts would turn to Christmas, the boyhood excitement beginning to grow despite me being in my very early teens. I’d long given up believing in Father Christmas but that didn’t stop me wondering what he’d bring me. No more socks, I hoped.

Sometimes I’d stop at the gate to the bottom meadow, put down my satchel, and just look out across the field at the frost-whitened grass and think of skating on Dutch canals. Don’t ask me why I thought about that, I couldn’t skate and hadn’t been to Holland at that time, but I did - a racial memory? Or perhaps images stolen from the huge book on Breugel I poured over in the library every lunch time.

I’d look down towards the brook almost hearing the whoosh of skate blades, then, with the whoops of Stephen Castle and Luke Doyle carried by the frozen air from the distance, I’d snatch up my books and scuttle the rest of my way to school. I didn’t want to meet those two, they were at best snide and at worst outright bullies, often pushing and shoving and throwing my scarf into the mud.

I got them back though, oh yes, I got them back – but I’ll save that for another time.

So, first frost this morning. Cars all white windscreens and a chilly nip to the air. The smoky smell of yesterday’s after-bonfire air all cleaned up and replaced by ice sharp freshness.

Winter’s coming.

7 comments:

  1. There's an east wind coming all the same, such a wind as never blew on England yet. It will be cold and bitter, Watson. And a good many of us may wither before its blast. But it's God's own wind nonetheless and a greener, better, stronger land that will lie in the sunshine when the storm is cleared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula Handley Was Braham on FacebooK:
    That brought back memories of walking to school for me, although I didn't have as far to walk as you did :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma Cholmondeley on Facebook:
    Glorious Winter awakens with the first frost, the subtle change in light, clear skies and nights that suddenly become brisk and chilled.
    Glorious Winter, when the bold branches bid a final farewell to their rainbow leaves.
    Within these wonderful winterland nights are warm memories we shall keep.

    Farewell Autumn and welcome wooly sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glyn Bailey on Facebook:
    Are you like me?....can't walk past a frozen puddle without tapping your foot on it to break the ice?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew Height That's me Gyn. Remember those huge slides we made? Banned today

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glyn Bailey on Facebook: Yeah, I remember old 'mousey' Foulkes at Stand Grammar falling and snapping his two front teeth clean off on such a slide though...maybe they've got a point

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew Height
    Scary wasn't it... those long ones. And then the caretaker would come along with his bucket of sand.

    Andrew Height
    I loved that walk Paula.

    ReplyDelete