Monday 31 October 2011

Pumpkin carving...

I never know what it is going to be until I pick up the knife and spoon and begin - the knife to slash, the spoon to scoop the gooey innards out.

I keep the seeds, I keep the flesh - for salted roasted pumpkin seeds and creamy pumpkin soup, after all waste not want not.

I considered a scream but Edvard Munch escaped me. I thought about a Lovecraftian horror but his Necrominicon was firmly closed. Even Bram Stoker slunk away - no, this year I had a humour on me. Not for me the grotesque of the vampyre teeth and drooling, bloody, mouth.

So here is my pumpkin for Halloween 2011.

I'm not sure if it's a cat or a rabbit. I think it owes something to Donny Darko but there's something of the Bagpuss about him. His eyes are glass his horns a pound shop bargain. Perhaps he isn't very scary, but the most horrible terrors lurk beneath a silly surface sometimes.

Anyway, I have to go... the trick or treaters are here. I hope they are careful - he might nibble them to death.


6 comments:

  1. Andrew Casson on Facebook:
    Donnie Darko, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil Morgan on Facebook:
    Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia Kitt on Facebook:
    V Spooky..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richard Shore on Facebook:
    He's lovely. I think he should make more appearance on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah Rawden on Facebook:
    well beats my attempt at pumpkin art into a cocked hat that does!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew Height
    Loadsa trick or treaters tonight - I'm even into my own candy (snort).

    Liz Shore and Vicky Sutcliffe like this.

    Liz Shore We haven't had one :(


    Sharon Taylor never had any in 21 years - tonight we have had 3, the only thing we had were Neils' quavers !!!!!!!!!!


    Therese Nott we've had loads too (including our 2), it was really nice - young kids and it all finished by 7


    Tricia Kitt big bucket of haribo still half full here!


    Sarah Rawden The headmaster at our village school asked the children only to knock at the doors of houses that have a sign or decorations outside.....how very sensible :o)

    Andrew Height inundated. Best costumes ever. A group of 13 witches. A little boy who couldn't manage the step and another who sang me a spooky song. They all loved the rabbit pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete