Thursday 6 October 2011

Sparkle in the rain…

I’d never noticed it before – the sparkle in the rain. But sitting looking out of the window last night, the rain drumming on the glass, there it was glinting at the corner of my eye and I was immediately lost in the depth of the sparkling lights on the pane.

Thank God I caught it, I needed something to blog about. So I went to fetch my camera. Waste nothing. Make everything count. Turn every moment into an epic journey - or at least a blog post.

That’s the thing about blogging, it’s addictive and I need my daily fix, but sometimes it’s hard to find something, anything, to say.

Occasionally I think about stopping, laying down my pens, paints, paper, and keyboard, and giving up altogether. I guess all of us bloggers do at some time or another. But I'm not at all sure that I'd be able to give up if I tried, at some point an idea would pop into my head and I’d have to blog it out of my system. Like I said I’m addicted.

At other times I ask myself ‘What’s the point of it all? Just why am I doing this?’ But last night as I looked at the sparkle in the rain on the windows I remembered the point again. It stands as a record and a reminder, without my blog would I have noticed the rain on the window and taken a photograph to remember it by?

When I think about it I wish I'd been recording my thoughts all my life. I've tried to keep diaries a few times but it has never lasted, mainly because life is generally so dull. My blog is a world, my very own Bedford Falls to stumble around in. It let's me get my thoughts out and try to keep being creative, sometimes I even like and feel proud of what I’ve done.

Occasionally I find myself going back through older posts, reminding myself of what I've posted. Sometimes I've forgotten all about one post or another, often it serves to remind me of what I was thinking, doing, feeling at that point in time and I don't call that pointless, I call that a warm drink to hold in cupped hands on a cold winter's evening.

And one day I am going to really need that cup.

5 comments:

  1. As ever, there is wisdom in your words, but then you seem to have developed a warm and mutually supportive relationship with WAWL and it seems mean a lot to you and your many fans and it seems to make order and calm out of your complex and full sense of being.

    Over in Lesser B, as in my own (also complicated) existence, things tend to be a touch more uncertain. We seem to have a relationship based on mutual contempt and loathing, the old blog and I. Can't live with it, can't live with it. Like any addiction, most of the time I really want to give it up, but then it drags me back in, but sometimes the results astonish me, and at other times they terrify me just as much.

    As ever, it remains uncertain where this road will take me, but it's nice, at least, to know I have one pair of eyes watching my back as I stumble through the darkness in search of some fundamental truths...

    Thanks for listening... M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I will keep listening. Our blogs aren't so different you know, and I think that we both know that they are a medicine keeping us just the right side of sanity.

    What would we be without them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma Cholmondeley on Facebook:
    Loved the blog thus evening so simple but true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was written after my post for the following blog. However they complement each other in any order. In years to come there are going to be a few of us readers jealous that we didn't take the trouble to record our thoughts in a similar way to you bloggers. We could all do it but you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Compliment? Never could remember.

    ReplyDelete