Thursday 13 October 2011

Without cats…

Even close up, magnified, abstracted, slightly distorted and flowed through image software you all know what this is.

A cat - right?

Right.

Not a real cat of course just one of the scores of unreal cats that lie around my house, still and gathering dust. Cats made from wood, and pot, and china, and iron, and concrete, and papier mache, and that plastic stuff which the gift shops prefer to call resin.

Pretend cats all. Not a meow amongst them.

Pretend cats. Not a stroke, or a scratch, or a rough tongue felt across the back of my hand, or an almost had me toppling down the stairs, or a cat dish waiting to be filled, or a mad half hour, or a stay out all night then wander back, or a dead mouse present, or a cat tray needing changing, or a hairball on the landing amongst them.

I sometimes think that my days of cats are done. No more Misty’s, or Tia’s, or Emperor Ming’s. Just quiet cat statues in every room I wander into. Remeberances of cats, making me recall a time when warm fur and a contented purr comforted me when I most needed it.

What a time to be without cats.

4 comments:

  1. I used to keep cats, but they tended to fall victim to the tides of fate. Members of my family used to think that liking the real ones meant that I would like many artificial ones to decorate my home with too, and so, I too have many scattered around me. Perhaps in my dotage I shall look upon them as old friends that surround and comfort me, but for now they simply stare.)

    Once upon a time I wrote of the Accursed Hickory Cat. Maybe he needs revisiting...

    After all, happiness is a warm cat... as Charles M Schulz didn't quite say. M.

    (Incidentally, the word verification for this was "catic" rather spookily...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a catless man and I need cats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma Cholmondeley commented on Facebook:
    Emma wrote: "And Kiki, Kinkey and Pebbles and Persha....don't forget them. All beautiful. Its the soft, content purring and cat paw massage(that sightly actaully hurt - but nice in a painful kind of way) on my lap that I miss. So theraputic. Lovely."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you guys need to give loving homes to cats because you can.

    ReplyDelete