Friday 10 April 2009

Invasion of the Killer Monster Robots...



o

o

o

o

o

We drove across to Dinas Dinlle today.

The early morning grey sky and drizzling rain seemed to lift as soon as we arrived at the beach - and the sun came out, blueing up the horizon in no time at all.

Dinas Dinlle is all steep pebble banks and white crested waves. It’s hard to climb the fifteen feet high banks. The pebbles roll away from under your feet and you find yourself sliding back down to where you started from.

It was whilst I was slowly being swallowed by the pebbles that I saw my first swallow of the year. Now I know that one swallow doesn’t make a summer but it was nice to see an indication that it is on its way. I followed the swallow with my eyes as it swooped and dived along the top of the ridge and then suddenly from behind a bank of grey and white pebbles emerged…

Oh my God a Killer Robot Monster!

I’d heard that they’d been spotted a couple of times around here but I never expected to see one. As reported it was carrying a death ray weapon in its left hand and the right hand was a deadly sharp hooked claw. A green airline supplied it with whatever gas it breathed, and one of its feet seemed to be some sort of traction device whilst the other was a horrible gnarled claw. A small red laser blaster protruded from the cavern of its black mouth and it wore the blue wiring of a MegaBot – the most dangerous and deadly of its dangerous and deadly kind.

I looked it in its single eye. What did it want?

With a terrifying rumble of internal gearing and a repetitive beep it began to walk towards me as I realised that whatever it wanted, it wanted it from me.

Fortunately I have absolutely no fear whatsoever. I rushed towards it screaming ‘Death to all Killer Monster Robots!’ It fired its death ray at me – it missed. It fired again, but I was on him, slapping my sticker (the one with my blog address printed on it) just below its flat, oval nose. It struck out in panic catching me a glancing blow that sent me tumbling down the ridge of pebbles. I leapt to my feet ready to face the Robot once again but… it was gone!

My sticker had done its job. The Killer Monster Robot was marked and never again would it creep up on an unsuspecting victim. Its cover had been blown.

Good had triumphed over evil once more!

2 comments:

  1. Dinas Dinlle... wow.. I remember that beach. We used to go there on a Sunday when I was about 8 and we lived in Wales. Old Bill (a friend of my parents who was my piano teacher, and had a dog with three legs) lived very close by. My parents used to visit him and take him to the pub. Then we'd all go to the beach afterwards. And he made us rabbit pie for tea once. Its funny what you remember from being 8. I don't remember any Killer Robot Monsters though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great beach to go for a walk - you never know what you might find. Did you ever climb up the 3000 year old hill fort by the cafe? They have made a wooden path now and it's much easier - worth a visit for the views alone.

    ReplyDelete