Sunday 26 April 2009

Blooming brilliant...


















Here she is - my first Aquilegia of the year.

Isn't she beautiful? Aquilegia Cameo, a miniature variety, an Alpine. I grew this one from seed. It's growing in a large bowl planter at the cottage in Wales, and I'm growing dozens from the seed this one produced last year.

I got up early this morning to catch the softer light. Aren't the colours delicate. It's called Cameo because the flowers from each single plant come mixed within the same plant in various hues from deep pinks through to pale yellows and creams. The colours look very much like those cameo brooches that my aunts used to wear on their cardigans when I was a child - my well-to-do aunts on my Father's side.

Anyway, Aquilegia Cameo, the first Aquilegia of many this year I hope.

I'll make sure that you know all about them as they bloom.

Bored yet?

3 comments:

  1. wow how beautiful - great respect for you growing it from seed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are there no ends to your talents? I do really well with weeds but otherwise death and destruction follow in my wake , gardening wise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some work - some don't. I garden mainly in containers. I'm hoping for my Aquilegia Green Apples to bloom this year.

    ReplyDelete