Tuesday 7 April 2009

It's all about me...


i

i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i

1i
Tadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Time to celebrate. This is my hundredth posting.

It seems a long time since I started this journey. Were you in at the start? Do you remember how it all began?

‘Gosh!I'm in e-space! Here I am with my very own blog and the future opens up in front of me in ways that I could only have dreamt of just seconds ago. So many questions flood my head. What do I write? Is my spelling up to it? Will I be able to entertain? Will anyone read me? And how on earth does this all work?Questions, questions, questions. Maybe over the next few weeks I'll get the answers.’

That was me as a young blogger, how simple and full of hope I made it all sound. It seems a very long time ago, a lot has happened, lots of changes.

But here I am four months and a hundred posts later, a little blog older, a lot blog wiser, and those questions still pop into my head each time I start a post. The spelling thing is easy, I write my blog in word and spell-check, and then I read, and re-read, read, change. I’m fanatical about getting it just right.

Do I entertain? I entertain myself, I can’t speak for anybody else - but I love reading my own blog, how self obsessed is that?

And you are reading me – so that is good.

How does it all work? Well, technically I have the hang of it and I know that Google recognises the blog – I have a lot of search hits for ‘Sally Forth’, ‘Ty Coch’ and ‘Simon Le Bon’ (eclectic is my middle name - actually it isn't, it’s Kevin) but I still struggle to know what to write about most times. Sometimes it just comes, dropping out of my head and down into my fingers, appearing on my electronic page without any involvement from me, but at other times it can be a real struggle. Blogging is not for the faint-hearted.

Increasingly I stop at motorway service stations to get things down when the ideas flow; sometimes I’m still there an hour later – once two hours later and I’d have been there longer but my battery died. My blog is the first thing I ‘do’ when I get home in the evening. No wonder Gaynor gets cross. I am a blog addict. It works best when I have one of my movies running – the ones that run in my head. When I have a movie running it’s easy. As I say to Ju-Ju “I don’t have a choice. The film starts running in my head and I’m here again.”

Despite the label it’s been given at home – ‘that bloody blog’ - I think that to date it’s been an interesting journey, if not for you then at least for me – and, as I’ve always made very clear, it isall about me’. What would be the point of creating it if it wasn’t? It’s a place for me to go to and to get to know myself.

And I am getting to know myself after forgetting who I was for a while.

‘That bloody blog’ has taken me down a few dead end streets, along some very dark roads, up dusty trails where nothing is quite what it seems and everything is slightly out of focus, real places, revisited places, funny places, remembered places, imaginary places, down-right-lied about places, surreal places, uncomfortable places, silly places, embarrassing places, liberating places, sad serious places… but all and most importantly - my places.

And I've discovered that I like photography after years of hating it and that in my heart I am a surrealist - so maybe I should stop trying not to be.

I want the journey to continue, although I often ask myself 'why am I doing this, what is the point?' And then I get an idea for one of my sculptures, or a poem, or Misty does something worth the telling of, or I remember someone and want to make sure that they are remembered - and that is that - I stop asking pointless questions and start to write.

So the journey will continue a while yet. Who knows where I may end up?

I hope that you continue to come along with me, I appreciate and need your comments and support.

4 comments:

  1. You most certainly have entertained me with your beautiful and creative writing. I love your photos also, especially your beach sculptures.You have a real talent Andi - it doesn't matter what you are writing about, you manage to engage the reader with your style. Your blog is the first thing I read when I get home so KEEP GOING otherwise you will have left us with a gaping hole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear, hear! I agree fully, and enjoy reading your blog, no matter what the subject matter is. Congratulations on the 100th posting - it doesn't seem like it has been so many - that shows how you get drawn in to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Highest compliment I can pay Andi is that it almost replaces the stimulus of Radio 4. It makes me think and laugh and like BMD I look forward to your latest postings; you never know what you are going to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A belated congratulations! I've been meaning to post a well done since last week but my phone has been playing up and wouldn't let me comment. This is the first chance I've had to say well done. So WELL DONE!! Keep up the good work and don't forget me when you're a famous blogger!

    ReplyDelete