Wednesday 29 April 2009

Salvador Dali Sky...














So I’m driving along the road on Saturday and I suddenly realised how blue the sky was.

I don’t know why that realisation dropped into my consciousness just then, I wasn’t thinking about the sky, I wasn’t listening to any music connected with the sky – Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Sky Train, Blue Skies, Spirit in the Sky, Sky High, The Great Gig in the Sky. I was just driving along, listening to Radio 4, thinking about pretty much nothing at all - and suddenly the sky was blue - very, very blue.

So blue that I pulled in, got out, and took this picture.

It’s the sky over Pwllheli harbour. What a beautiful day.

I just stood there looking at the clouds as they transformed and moved across the sky. I like to watch the clouds, see what they’re up to, what they are becoming. I must have spent hundreds of hours watching the pictures form and fade in their fluffiness. That cloud on the right at the top - is that a cows head? It has a ring through its nose. Is that a smaller cow running across the field in the centre towards the bottom, or is it a cat? And is there another running cow in the bottom left of the picture… a cow… or is it a fairground horse? Not sure, What do you think? Look closely. Wait, what’s that in the top left of the picture? That has to be a rabbit. Yep! Definitely a rabbit.

Wow! Who needs Salvador Dali when you have the sky. I’m in a blue field, surrounded by white cows, or cats, or horses, and a rabbit has just popped out of his hole to see what is going on.

Fantastic!

Isn’t the sky a big place? I’m going to be spending a lot more time there.

See? It really is a wonderful life.

7 comments:

  1. Cloud watching rocks. You get a lot of practice in Oldham. They are usually large and grey, set against the backdrop of a lovely grey and brown town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I like that! Another thing about the sky is that it's always changing with the cloud formations - and different people will see different things... Definitely saw the rabbit and the cow's head though! Good luck in the show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - I'm going to do that cloud thing as an occasional feature - it is such fun. When I took the picture I didn't even notice the animals - I was just amazed by the blueness. I'll let you know ahow I get on at the show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is amazing - I must look up at the sky more often instead of down at the ground

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought liz a book by these people last Chrsitmas. Have a look in the gallery.

    http://cloudappreciationsociety.org/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have that book - I am a seasoned cloudwatcher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this picture.
    Saw the rabbit, thought the cow looked like a particularly contented sheep (it is Wales) but after the touch-up it looks like a seriously startled calf. (maybe an extra in a James Herriott scene?) The one in the bottom left looks like a half-buried cabbage patch doll or maybe that's just my nightmares creeping in. When it comes to imagination the sky really is the limit. (sorry)
    k

    ReplyDelete