Monday 6 April 2009

Pipefish.


i
i
iL
L
L
L
L
L
L
w
w
LK
i
I seem to spend an awful lot of time on the road.
I drove back from Wales last night and the route I usually take was closed with no warning. I had to backtrack and take a thirty mile detour, so it was really late when I eventually got in.
-
This morning I got up at six so that I could be in Scarborough by nine. I don't mind early starts and was so happy when I avoided the usual crush of jammed traffic around Leeds. It didn't last though - the AI was closed and I lost over an hour trying to get onto the A64.
-
The traffic wasn't too bad on the way home, but I got thinking about stuff and missed my exit. It didn't take me to far out of my way but by the time I was back on track the traffic had built up and... well, we all know how that song goes.
-
So why am I telling you this? I'm not really, I'm really talking to myself. Sometimes I wonder why I spend so much time rushing from one place to another in what can sometimes seem like such a pointless meander.
-
Pipefish are wanderers. They meander here, change direction and swim off there. They're related to seahorses (as you can probably see from the shape of their heads) and they rarely stay in one place for very long - continually moving from one place to another looking for food or a mate.
-
As you must know by now I love beach combing. There is something about finding something washed up by the sea that makes it precious - even if 'intrinsically' it isn't. I have a collection of very precious fishing net floats - all sizes, all colours; red, orange, yellow, blue, grey, white, black - an old wooden oar, pebbles (of course), and my Pipefish.
-
In ten years of hardcore beach combing I have only managed to find about one a year - and I look for them all the time. You usually find them in the flotsam at the head of the beach mixed in with the weed and sticks. Because they have an external skeleton they have usually dried hard, like fingernails. They don't take very long to dry out and they don't smell, there really isn't any flesh to rot.
-
I caught a live one last year in a pool at Criccieth. We were shrimping. I'll tell you about shrimping another time, it's almost the season. I held it in my hand, it was like holding one of those jointed wiggly wooden snake toys that you can buy - only much, much thinner. I thought about keeping it, killing it, adding it to my collection. But no - so I put in back into the sea and let it meander away.
-
Traffic and Pipefish, is there a connection? Probably - I was certainly thinking about Pipefish when I missed my turning.
-
Anyway, this is a picture of my Pipefish 'found things' sculpture. I think Eileen Agar would have liked it.

8 comments:

  1. Pipefish really scare me for some reason. Whenever I go snorkelling abroad I always watch them anxiously. Sharks, stingrays, eels I'm fine with. Pipefish, no thanks. They have beady eyes that seem to stare at you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was snorkelling in Barbados when a rock moved - it was an eel with teeth - it was HUGE! But then things look so much bigger in the water don't they Glynne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry but they give me the creeps

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank pipefish for your blog - reading it is keeping me sane! I must admit though - I much prefer seahorses.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. when I learnt to scuba dive in the phillipines I loved seeing the really small fish rather than the bigger fish..on my third dive we were able to find a very rare pygmy sea house anchored by it's tail curled round a piece of sea coral..it was the size of my little fingernail and was soooo delicate but very detailed...they are the most favourite thing I have ever seen and to see them wild and not in a tank was amazing...x

    ReplyDelete
  6. make that sea horse rather than a sea house!! brain going to mush and already!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
    Perhaps you're not as cynical as you think ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are sea horses in the Irish Sea - I always thought they were tropical but apparently not.

    I'll try and make one on the beach this year. It'll probably turn out to be a dog or a rat, or something (due to lack of seahorse parts) but I can try.

    ReplyDelete