Thursday 30 April 2009

Right - are you ready? Let’s go.


o
o
o
o
o
o
oo
oo
oo
o

O
O
O
O

'Right - are you ready? Let’s go.'

What a wonderful statement, or is it a question?

‘Right - are you ready?’

Starting with that simple single syllable, part statement, part instruction, it seems to ask you to hold your breath a touch and wait for what’s coming next - waiting in anticipatory mode. What comes next is a question, one of the big questions – maybe even the question. One that, like most questions, gives you some chance to change your mind… do you take this woman… would you like to dance… did you chop down that cherry tree? (God – why didn’t I answer those questions differently?) But simpler, easier to answer - you either are, or you aren’t and a simple ‘yes’, even a nod, will set the wheels in motion; big wheels, small wheels, cog wheels, slow or fast turning wheels, cartwheels, bicycle wheels, rickshaw wheels, paddle wheels… we are off on an adventure, away on our travels, stepping into the unknown… ‘Let’s go then’…

Let’s go then.

I was wandering along a country road the other day when I saw this gate. Nothing special, softwood, unpainted, uncared for even. Odd design, unevenly made, half hidden by the bushes… interesting gate isn’t it?

I almost missed it, but it seemed strange to have a gate with no field behind it - so I stopped to take a look.

Look behind the gate. What do you see? Is that an overgrown path? I think it is - quite wide isn’t it?

I tried looking up the pathway, more of a lane really, but the overhanging bushes only allowed me to see about a dozen feet or so. Sticking my head over the gate I strained to see further. It was no use; there was only one thing for it.

I carefully climbed over.

I almost tumbled from that top bar, it was a bit rickety, but I regained my balance and eased myself to the ground. I was standing on something hard, not grass or earth - I was standing on cobble. The cobble was mossed, grassed over in places, but it was clearly a cobblestone road. No mistaking it.

I wondered where it might lead? Only one way to find out…

Unfortunately I couldn’t force my way through the undergrowth. It was too thick, spiky, dense and scratchy. I’d have needed a machete to chop my way through. Perhaps I’ll go back with one another time and find out what lies at the end of that cobble road.

For now though it’s up to you. Climb the gate, set those wheels, those cogs, in motion - sharpen the machete of your imagination and start chopping. You’ll soon be at the end of that cobble road.

And when you get there don’t forget to let me know what you find….

Just a minute, can I come with you? Yes? No? Okay then - take care. Those white flowers are pretty aren’t they?

‘Right - are you ready? Let’s go then’.

3 comments:

  1. weren't you tempted to ask the 6 people where it lead to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was - where would it lead you to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. didn't you get it - 12 feet = 6 people?

    ReplyDelete