Saturday 26 April 2014

The beach monsters cometh...

It’s been a while since I stumbled across anything on the beach. Somehow my Dali giraffe still eludes me, although this might have become it I guess. No matter, I was happy enough to see this visitor cranking its way along the sand the other day. Of course when I say happy, that’s a purely relative term.

Even though it is the start of the beach monster season, it isn’t everyday that you bump into a sea tank, one of those horrible semi-machines which harvest humans from coastal settlements for reasons that are never made clear in one of my favourite books by John Wyndham. The Kraken Wakes, if you’ve never read it, then you probably should. The premise of the tale is that aliens come to Earth and inhabit the deep seas, managing to change the currents and melt the polar ice caps. The world is flooded with people living on closely guarded islands as the sea tanks continue to spirit away any survivors to suffer God knows what fate. I won’t tell you how it ends; it’d spoil it; although the UK and the US publications have different endings, with the UK version not being quite as bleak.

This little monster wasn’t as terrifying as all that. Maybe its waste wood and rubber pipe legs, plastic baker’s tray body, and traffic cone top head appendage give it a sense of quirky comedy that a real monster from the deep simply wouldn’t possess.

And I don’t think this chap eats people.

I know, I know, why would anyone waste their time on a thing like this. Well, lets just say I have the time and leave it at that shall we?

I really must read The Kraken Wakes again. Perhaps I’ll try to get hold of the American version, I quite like a bleak ending.

33 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Thanks. The best thing about making these is watching the reactions of people who pass them by when I've made them.

      Delete
  2. Kevin Parrott
    What else would you be doing.....?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Building beach monsters Kevin Parrott

      Delete
  3. Mark McNicholas on FB
    You've obviously have too much time on your hands !!
    when I was a kid. Down Shep...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      There's never too much time Mark McNicholas. I have fun making these from the stuff I find washed up on beaches. I plan to make a few more this year.

      Delete
  4. Kieran Goodwin on FB
    You should make miniatures and sell them as shabby shit. These are brilliant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Kieran Goodwin I sometimes make little creatures out of household rubbish. I put it down to a Blue Peter fixation

      Delete
  5. Liz Shore on FB
    Aww Spindel. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Spindel indeed... perhaps my favourite of then all...

      Delete
    2. Liz Shore
      Hes certainly the most loved!

      Delete
  6. Laura Keegan on FB
    Love this! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simon Parker on FB
    Loving the beach sculptures Andi, where are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Under the sea now Simon. I make them on the beaches in Wales where I have my cottage from the stuff I find on the beach. Two or three a year, an afternoons pleasure for me. I build them just below the tide line so that they are there for a few hours and then gone. You should see the looks of the passers by when they come up against one.

      Delete
  8. Tim Preston on FB
    This one scares me! They remind me of a book of made up creatures I had as a kid. Slightly scarey and fascinating at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrew Height
    I have the drawings Tim. They are even scarier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Neil Barrett on FB
    Eve would love doing this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Give it a go Neil Barrett

      Delete
  11. Carmel Payne on FB
    I think they're fab .....sell them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Ha, ha. That's not why I make them Carmel. I make them so the sea can take them back. They are transient beings abroad in the world between tides. Here for a day, then gone.

      Delete
  12. Vicky Brickhill on FB
    Brilliant. Is there really that much rubbish on the beach?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      That's Hell's Mouth on the Llyn. You wouldn't believe what gets washed up there.

      Delete
  13. Tim Preston on FB
    Fucking hell! I felt that love

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paula Sandham
    Brilliant! These are ace, have you done them? Px

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn Marshall on FB
      My fave!

      Dawn Marshall
      What beach are they on ?


      Delete
    2. Andrew Height
      Hi Paula. I just collect whatever is on the beach and build. It's mainly balance and washed up string. They aren't meant to last.

      Delete
  15. Andrew Height
    I build them on the beaches on the Llyn peninsula Dawn Marshall. Dali's cat was on Hell,s Mouth, the robot at Dinas Dinille, and Spindel the donkey at Criccieth. I build them near the water and they don't last. My mammoth, which I built at Penlech beach is just seaweed. It lasted about two hours - a huge dog came bounding towards it, attacked and destroyed the poor thing. I plan to make a couple this year (one down) as I didn't manage any last year at all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Paula Sandham on FB
    Where are they? Px

    Andrew Height
    Nowhere any more. I'm the pig that built on sand.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mike King on FB
    This really reminded me of the vehicle used in this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/.../Brighton_and_Rottingdean...

    Brighton and Rottingdean Seashore Electric Railway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    en.wikipedia.org
    The Brighton and Rottingdean Seashore Electric Railway was a unique coastline ra... See more

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nicola Menzies on FB
    fab

    ReplyDelete
  19. Louisa Morgan on FB
    These are great Andrew!

    Andrew Height
    Thanks Louisa, I do my best to entertain.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Andy B D Bickerdike on FB
    It would be a great day out, beach combing with you..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Andy Lloyd Very clever!
    15 hours ago · Like

    Tricia Kitt good dog - that is very scary!
    14 hours ago · Like

    Carmel Payne Dumbo?
    14 hours ago · Like

    Tricia Kitt that gum disease ad?
    14 hours ago · Like

    Andrew Height Mainly seaweed, bladder wrack I think... that might lead to gum disease.

    ReplyDelete