Tuesday 1 April 2014

Cry wolf!...

My wife got me again.

Well it is April Fool’s Day and of course I forgot. This time the toilet was overflowing and coming over the top of the seat. Of course I rushed up the stairs when she called me in a panic, muttering complaints and accusations about ‘things’ being flushed down the toilet and it getting blocked. She even turned on the bath taps to make it sound realistic and stood looking so very agitated outside the bathroom door, seemingly staring at the fictitious overflow.

I pushed past her, expecting to see water everywhere… and she burst out laughing. I’d fully expected an hour of unblocking followed by another hour of mopping and bailing out.  

Every bloody year! She got me again. What is wrong with me?

Of course, I laughed with her, not least of all with relief that the toilet had not overflowed after all and had just been a jolly jape. Mind you, I’ll have nightmares about it for weeks. Overflowing toilets already appear in my catalogue of nightmares, along with locked hotel room doors, lost cars, keys and wallets, and wandering around strange cities stark bullock naked apart from a very small traffic cone.

Talking of nightmares - I wonder how many people had real a real crisis today and on rushing for help were met with ‘Yeah, April Fool. You don’t get me that easy.’

I really hope that my wife never has any kind of emergency on April Fools Day. Just imagine what I’ll say and do if the toilet really did overflow next year.

6 comments:

  1. Vicky Brickhill on FB
    Nice one Gaynor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael Snow on FB
    Trust is a wonderful attribute, Andrew, even when others take such cruel advantage. Though - I'll have to try that one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Samantha MacAree on FB
    You love it really, and a bit of fun keeps you young. Just start planning for next year, lol x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buffey Glandon on FB
    That is awesome, I think I love her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindsey Messenger on FB
    Your just an April Fool!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. David West-Mullen on FB
    without people like you Andrew, there would be no April fools Day

    ReplyDelete