Friday 11 April 2014

Performing miracles…

Where to begin? Well, I guess that the beginning is best.

I'll never trust that Jesus fucker again. Five loaves, two fishes? I told him that there were 5,000 to feed, but he insisted there he could only see 5. He should have gone to specsaviours!

Another example of my odd sense of humour posted on Facebook to titillate or offend, I’m not sure which; it depends on where you stand on the Jesus thing and the ‘F’ word I suppose, but at least these days I won’t be burnt at the stake as a heretic. It struck me as funny at the time, it still does actually, but it didn’t get a great response. Maybe I should have just posted: ‘A pint? That’s almost an armful.’ Hancock quotes always seem to get a few comments.

Well, at least I tried and somewhere in those lines there is something truly funny. I can see why so many great comedians kill themselves though.

Religion seems to have featured a lot in my thinking recently. I don’t know why, there’s nothing huge going on in my life which means I need a god or anything. Well, not much unless you count the tick-tock of the clock as I rush towards non-existence or whatever else there may be.

Anyway, I did another one of those Facebook quizzes this morning. Yes, I’m still addicted; although it could be worse, it could be Candy Crush. Leaving addiction alone (see what I did there), this particular quiz arrived at the conclusion that I’m probably an atheist.

An atheist? An atheist! Jesus, I don’t think so.

In response I immediately posted on Facebook: “I am patently not an athiest. I believe that all things are part of a whole. Call that God if you will, but I call it The Church of the All Embracing Whale. Come worship the Whale with me - Brother Blue. Just inbox me your credit card details for membership (unfortunately we can't take Amex or Paypal). May the whale always swim in your ocean.”

Yet another nail in my comedic coffin methinks… That’s almost an armful now.

On a more serious note, I once almost believed that all the whales on Earth, collectively, together, might form God and by hunting them we might be killing the most powerful force in the universe. I don’t know why I thought this, but at the time, and for a while, it made complete sense to me. This was before that Star Trek movie with the whales I hasten to add.

I know. I soon shut up about it; I couldn’t take the ridicule and guffaws from my fellows. Luckily they didn’t section me and as a concept I still believe that there might be something in it. Let’s face it; it’s just as likely as Jesus feeding five thousand with four loaves and two fishes.

This made me remember eating tuna and cucumber sandwiches on long, boring, Sunday afternoons when I was a kid. Yum, yum, tuna and cucumber sandwiches with lashings of vinegar. Happy days? Well no, but the sandwiches were nice.

Perhaps that’s how Jesus did it.

The biggest bluefin tuna ever caught was caught this month by New Zealand angler, Donna Pascoe. Donna landed a 907-pound Pacific bluefin tuna; smashing the world record and, if she’d have been allowed to sell it in Japan, making over a million quid in the process. Of course she wasn’t allowed to sell. Only licensed commercial fishers are allowed to sell their tuna in New Zealand, so she’s stuffing it instead.

Now that’s what I call a waste of perfectly good fish, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall would have a fishy fit and wear a T-shirt saying so, after all that one fish would have made 1,769 cans of tuna and that’s 2,875 sandwiches.

With a couple of those under his belt (he did wear a belt didn’t he? If not how did he keep his trousers up?) I think Jesus could easily have fed the five thousand with 2 fishes. Of course he’d have needed five of the loaves baked in Portugal during the Bread and Bakers’ Party on 10 July 2005. A continuous loaf 1,211.6 m in length was baked over 59:30 hours. The massive loaf contained a total of 4846 kg wheat flour, 3029litres water, 242kg leaven, 121kg salt and would have made… Well, quite a few sandwiches.

Yes, that would have done it. Five thousand picnickers at the Sermon on the Mount (I know that isn't the same incident but call it artistic license) all fed tuna sandwiches made from two loaves and five fishes, albeit bloody big ones.

Perhaps there’s not so much to this miracle working after all.

8 comments:

  1. Tim Preston
    Not Satanism then ......

    Andrew Height
    I got atheist. I am patently not. I believe that all things are part of a whole. Call that God if you will, but I call it The Church of the All Embracing Whale. Come worship the Whale with me Brother Blue. Just inbox me your credit card details for membership (unfortunately we can't take Amex or Paypal). May the whale always swim in your ocean.

    Mark McNicholas
    For an atheist, you seem to have a remarkable obsession with religion and other peoples beliefs !!!

    Andrew Height
    I do Mark. I think that I've figured it all out.

    Mark McNicholas
    I'm glad you have,I don't think I have or ever will.

    Tim Preston
    Are you really looking for God in external objects like Jesus and Blue Whales or are you just taking the piss. I can't quite work it out

    Andrew Height
    The answer is staring you in the face Tim. At first I thought that it might be 2 whales and not 2 tuna (tunai as they say in New York). But then I realised that they weren't fish, but mammals. This is the basis for my new religion. That and the fact th...See More

    Mark McNicholas
    He's taking the piss, Tim , and trying to be provocative, don't react!

    Andrew Height
    I can offer you both introductory canonisation as saints of the order of the whale. It's a very good deal. Just inbox me your credit card details.#

    Tim Preston Hmm hm hmmm .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trudy Anderson, Tarana Jed Roberts and Richard Shore like this.

    Alan Buckley
    Unfortunately, most people take the 'Bible' as Gospel (see what I did there?)

    Alan Buckley
    I pressed return by mistake! As allegorical tales they have meaning to many cultures and beliefs, as long as they are not taken literally, which unfortunately religion tends to do! The story has many parallels in different cultures, but all of them are paying homage to the 'Sun' (Son) or movements of the planets, which ALL cultures were entirely dependent upon. So endeth the lesson!

    Andrew Height
    I'm gonna stick with the whales Alan. I can do you a 25% discount if you want to join us. Today only - offer ends at midnight.

    Alan Buckley
    I love tuna and the buggers are pretty big, so you never know!!

    Andrew Height
    At first I thought that it might be 2 whales. But then I realised that they weren't fish, but mammals. This is the basis for my new religion. That and the fact that they have appeared in Star Trek and get a mention in the Old Testament. Why not buy one of our Whales R' God! T-shirts. Just inbox me your credit card details (limited offer. Conditions may apply. Allow a while for delivery.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark McNicholas
    Have you been drinking, again ?

    Andrew Height
    Only the communion wine Mark McNicholas

    Mark McNicholas A bit 'sweet' for you !!

    Andrew Height
    Not the wine of the whale Mark. It's a very nice Merlot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trudy Andersonon FB
    Specsavers has a competitor. Those specs look more Jimmy Carr than Jesus, though. What style WOULD Jesus wear? Perhaps he's more of a disposable lens chap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesus is Buddy Holly. Did I get that the right way around?

      Delete
  5. More from Trudy Anderson's share:

    Andrew Height Jesus is Buddy Holly. Did I get that the right way around?

    Julie Vesey Don't be ridiculous, he would never have chose that style. He would have worn little round dark tinted ones!!! Tsk!!!!


    Trudy Anderson


    Trudy Anderson Credit to Andrew Height's genius, btw. Not only can he write, he draw too. & his punny is funny.

    Julie Vesey I find it troubling that Jesus is always portrayed as a hunk? (usually a blonde one at that.) Would he have as many followers if he was more 'homely'?

    Trudy Anderson Jules, be not troubled. That portrayal is merely the one that has stuck culturally; a product of fairly recent history (& politics). There's compelling evidence questioning whether the man ever existed or is a composite of putative 'saviours' doing the rounds during that era. What one can be reasonably confident of is that that particular image is the result of human imagination & creativity.

    Julie Vesey I know. I'm being ironic!

    Dana Grant hmm, what about the fact that Jesus was from the middle east but looks more European?

    Trudy Anderson I know that. Have a go at a contemporary image of Jesus.

    Julie Vesey Dana, women are notorious for voting for a beautiful smile. Why do you think Tony Blair was Prime Minister for so long? I know a number of Village Idiots who voted for him!

    Trudy Anderson Yeah, but why let facts get in the way of a good yarn?

    Trudy Anderson Back to Jesus, who doesn't look much other than woodenly beatific. I'd be worrying about his hair getting mussed.

    Dana Grant Personally I think he ought to have gone for the round gold rim specs...ala John Lennon. JMO

    Trudy Anderson Ha ha ha! Hmmmm, rimless?

    Dana Grant or even shades. Some good ol fashioned Ray Bans

    Andrew Height The Jesus in shades... now there's an idea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie L. Healy on FB
    Jesus only lived until he was 33, so would not have needed glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      I've worn glasses since I was four, but Jesus would have healed his own sight I guess. Praise the Lord another miracle!

      Delete