Thursday 24 April 2014

Looking for mermaids...

So off we went in search of adventure and Cribinau, a small tidal island off the south west coast of Anglesey between Porth China and Porth Cwyfan where, in my imagination, the mermaids sing as they comb their hair.

The island can only be reached on foot at low tide and when we eventually found it, the postcode wasn’t recognised by my sat nav (maybe not surprising for an island church) the tide was in. We parked the car by a stile then ambled the length of the beach towards the 13th century church in the distance.

As we walked, the rocky causeway became more visible with each step. By the time we drew level with the island there was a narrow path of rocks leading out towards the island.

‘Just call me Moses,’ I quipped as we walked between the waters on each side of us. Seagulls flapped into the air as we reached, then climbed the steep stone staircase, setting down our armchair explorers feet on the totally deserted island.

It was an empty, quiet, and beautiful place; a small island of peace in an already peaceful setting. I didn’t hear any mermaids singing, but the sound of the breeze in the grass and the glimmer of the sunlight on the waves were more than soothing consolation.

We wandered around the crouching lime washed building, peering in through the tiny windows at the shadowed silence inside. It was a mystical place, a place where fishermen and farmers, milkmaids and merchants, blacksmiths and bailiffs were baptised, married, then finally buried, a place to stop and draw breath, a place to wonder at, a place to just think.

And that’s what I did.

I didn't find any mermaids though.

5 comments:

  1. Neil Barrett on FB
    I prefer you paintings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      I just snap pictures Neil. I'm no photographer really.

      Delete
    2. Neil Barrett on FB
      It's pure jealousy on my part, I wish I could paint.

      Delete
    3. 8 hours ago · Like

      Andrew Height
      You can Neil. You always could. Didn't you paint at school, and didn't your mum stick your paintings up in the kitchen? We can all paint. It might be with words, or a camera, or felt tip pens, or the smile we leave behind in the supermarket - but we can all paint. There's no need for brushes.

      Delete

  2. Kevin Parrott commented on FB
    Kevin wrote: "A lovely peace Andrew....... thanks."

    ReplyDelete