Thursday 23 July 2015

Fo’shizzle...

I’m no Stephen Fry, but I do like my words I do. I like all sorts of words. So when President Obama used the ‘N’ word on TV quite recently I was surprised, not shocked, but also quite pleased. It’s just a word, a word that has become infected over the years with some of the worst connotations, far more negative than its original meaning of an ignorant person which had no colour connotation at all.

Of course this change of meaning happens to all sorts of words, clever once meant sly, gay once meant happy, lush until recently meant verdant, and pillock once meant a straw pillow scented with medicinal herbs (no, I made that one up, it’s actually derived from pillicock , the old Norwegian for penis. I like my explanation better though).

Words change their meaning all of the time and as language changes new words are always just around the corner. If it didn’t evolve we’d still only be saying ‘ug’ (yes) and ‘ug-ug’ (no) and that wouldn’t make for interesting TV or reading would it? That’s the beauty of language it evolves and morphs as the world changes and as language changes with innovation, new discoveries, science, pop culture, our vocabulary gets ever richer. There was no superglue, Teflon, maxi, mini, fab, turbo, lol, labradoodle, laptop, or lap-dance until quite recently.

There are around 1,025,109 in the English language, but a word can’t really be a word until it is in the Oxford English Dictionary and each year new words are added. Five hundred new words were added last month and as I don’t like to suffer from FOMO. I thought I’d take a look at some of them.

Fo’shizzle I’m not keen on anybody that drumbles, but I’d rather that words were on-trend and not stanky. After all, I’ve bukoed far too hard with my uber vocabulary to auto-tune it to flatline. I’m no freegan, and neither do I live in ecotown but I still like my go-juice black and hot in my koozie. By the way if anyone would like to sext me I won’t play at hard arse, life’s too short and shitshow for that.

BTW, that ‘N’ word I mentioned was the word for God in ancient Egypt. I wonder what will happen if it comes to mean something else?

8 comments:

  1. Paul Whitehouse on FB
    Scritti Politti -the Word Girl .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 13 hrs · Unlike · 1

      Andrew Height
      It's a word for what you do
      In a world of broken rules
      She found a place for you
      Along her chain of fools

      Delete
  2. Robert Millson FB

    Fo’shizzle...

    I’m no Stephen Fry yo, but I do like mah lyrics I do. I wanna bust a nut on all sortz of lyrics. Right back up in yo muthafuckin ass. So when Prezzy Obizzay used tha ‘N’ word on TV like recently I was surprised, not shocked yo, but also like pleased. Y'all KNOW dat shit, muthafucka! It’s just a word, a word dat has become infected over tha muthafuckin years wit a shitload of da most thugged-out shitty connotations, far mo' wack than its original gangsta meanin of a ignorant thug which had no colour connotation at all.

    Of course dis chizzle of meanin happens ta all sortz of lyrics, smart-ass once meant sly, gay once meant happy, lush until recently meant verdant, n' pillock once meant a straw pillow scented wit medicinal herbs (no, I made dat one up, it’s straight-up derived from pilliding-a-ling , tha oldschool Norwegian fo' ding-a-ling. I wanna bust a nut on mah explanation betta though).

    Lyrics chizzle they meanin all of tha time n' as language chizzlez freshly smoked up lyrics is always just round tha corner n' shit. If it didn’t evolve we’d still only be sayin ‘ug’ (yes) n' ‘ug-ug’ (no) n' dat wouldn’t make fo' bangin-ass TV or readin would it, biatch? That’s tha beauty of language it evolves n' morphs as tha ghetto chizzlez n' as language chizzlez wit innovation, freshly smoked up discoveries, science, pop culture, our vocabulary gets eva richer n' shit. There was no superglue, Teflon, maxi, mini, fab, turbo, lol, labradoodle, laptop, or lap-dizzle until like recently.

    There is round 1,025,109 up in tha Gangsta language yo, but a word can’t straight-up be a word until it is up in tha Oxford Gangsta Doggtionary n' each year freshly smoked up lyrics is added. Y'all KNOW dat shit, muthafucka! Five hundred freshly smoked up lyrics was added last month n' as I don’t like ta suffer from FOMO.. n' you KNOWS I’d take a peep a shitload of em.

    Fo’shizzle I’m not keen on anybody dat drumblez yo, but I’d rather dat lyrics was on-trend n' not stanky fo' realz. Afta all, I’ve bukoed far too hard wit mah uber vocabulary ta auto-tune it ta flatline. I’m no freegan, n' neither do Hoes know mah name up in ecotown but I still like mah go-juice black n' bangin' up in mah koozie. By tha way if mah playas wanna sext me I won’t play at hard arse, game’s too short n' shitshow fo' dis shit.

    BTW, dat ‘N’ word I mentioned was tha word fo' Dogg up in ancient Egypt. I wonder what tha fuck will happen if it comes ta mean suttin' else?
    6 minutes ago · Like

    Robert Mills

    http://www.gizoogle.net

    Gizoogle
    Fo' all y'all biatches who wanna find shiznit
    GIZOOGLE.NET

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      That is Brilliant Rob. Wish I'd done it!.

      Delete
  3. Andrew Height
    I'm gonna us this all the time Fo’shizzle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David Bell on FB
    Good heavens, I didn't understand a bally word you said. Are you a Johnny Foreigner?

    ReplyDelete