Monday 4 January 2010

The wind won’t blow forever…

Here’s a picture of a tree. I’ve passed this tree often over the last fifteen years or so. It sits on a winding road close to the sea, away from the cliffs, on the flat. One of very few on that road, a singular tree and I’ve passed it dozens of times but this time on passing I stopped the car and took a picture. You see it’s become something of a landmark in my mind and I’ve developed a relationship with it, a mental relationship not a tree hugging thing, and each time I drive past him I look at him and smile. Yes, it’s ‘him’ and he’s become an old friend.

He’s just a tree, but look at the way the wind has taken hold of him and shaped him, blowing him backwards on himself. I wonder how many winter storms he’s faced, I wonder how he feels when the wind starts to blow and his trunk begins to bow and bow some more, helpless against the force of the wind, I wonder if he still fights against it, trying to grow tall and straight, or if he simply accepts his gnarled, windswept shape?

He’s seems all alone out here - the only tree within branches reach, but he lives in quiet mutualism with the green-grey lichen that covers his close-knit branches, Ramalina farinacea - such a beautiful name. Maybe Ramalina keeps him warm when the wind blows at him, perhaps she talks to him, encouraging him to be strong - keeps him from giving in altogether and blowing away. Perhaps Ramalina (the lichen with the fairy tale name) is his comfort, reminding him that soon it will be the spring and he will be clothed in green shoots and leaf once more. Reminding him that the wind will stop - the wind won’t (can’t) blow forever. That wind will stop, spring will arrive, and he’ll still be there, bent almost double, but still there - his roots strong and deep, gripping the dark red earth that holds he and Ramalina fast and safe.

I’ve passed this tree often, this time on passing I stopped the car and took this picture as my reminder that the wind won’t blow forever, and when it stops we’ll still be here - my tree and I.

8 comments:

  1. Glynne T Kirkham commented on Facebook "The wind won’t blow forever…":

    "Nice tree, nice picture. I can relate to the tree, it's trunk reminds me of my own back. But it's foliage reminds me of APSs hair and beard. "

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab tree - there are trees like this in the bleakest parts of the West of Ireland and it also makes me wonder how they survive the wind, sea, stone and poor soil. Makes me feel sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bent double by the wind is better than snapped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to be able to attach such wonderful stories to my pictures. You've a way with your eyes, ears and words Mr Height and you're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steven Lee commented on Facebook:

    "That's made me smile. But one question how do u know it's a he?"

    Answer - He told me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew Fisher commented on Facebook "The wind won’t blow forever…":

    "I knew a nice tree once. It stood vigil on a rise in a ploughed field. I think they used to hang people on it. If not it is the sort of tree that would look the part.."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your friend here is very beautiful and strong. Maibe the wind is a like a massage for him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alan Spence e-mailed this rant:

    All this living in Wales has turned you in to a romantic naturalist.
    You will be composing poems next in Western Brythonic Celtic.
    Can't help but think that the land over the mountains has turned your
    brain to mush. Giant's have got to sit somewhere and any self respecting
    Welshman will tell you that. See the obvious Andy not the romantic Myth.
    As for Kirkham, we have yet to meet, but we will.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete