Wednesday 13 January 2010

Docs with roses...

Dr Marten’s, the most recent ‘must haves’ of my daughter Holly. Funny how some things remain constant, always a fashion statement, iconic. And these Doc’s are excellent boots, truly magnificent boots, made from leather, cotton-stitch embroidered with swathes of red, ruby, roses, all AirWair soles, with zip-sides and laced fronted high tops, the most perfect boots a teenage girl could wish for and well deserved - her reward for working so hard to paint the cottage back in the summer. Let’s hope she wears them until she’s forty, they cost a fortune.

A constant just like my own Doc Marten shoes that the teenage I wore back in those seventies so long ago, when I was a ribbon. Fashion statement, iconic and practical, I wore my Docs everywhere, year after year, replacing the steel toe and heel protectors that I bought from Woolworths for two bob a time and nailed on using my Dad’s big hammer. Almost a ritual, the hammering of new steelies - I must have replaced them at least a half a dozen times over double the years, protecting the soles and protecting the smooth, supple, leather with an almost daily Cherry Blossom Boot Black and a weekly Tana Dubbin Polish, the most looked after shoes I’ve ever possessed, no need for my Dad to tell me to ‘polish my shoes’, not with my Docs – it was my pleasure and duty.

My Doc Marten shoes, my trusty Docs, at first my badge and later just sensible footwear, I still owned them into my thirties until one day, like so many things, they weren’t there any more and I with no idea where they’d gone. Where had they gone with their thick rubber bottoms and bold stitched edging?

I still miss them, and seeing Holly trying on her new boots made me miss them even more as you may have guessed - perhaps it’s time to buy myself another pair.

12 comments:

  1. Holly Height commented Facebook:

    "myyyyyyyy beautysss :)x"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glynne T Kirkham Facebook:

    "They are nice. I used to have a pair of bright yellow DMs. Maybe that's why I ended up making Yellow Pages ads. I had a great portfolio. "

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue Mcnally commented on Facebook:

    "those docs are kikkin. I had a pair of cherry red ones with multi coloured laces. I no longer have them ;0)"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still wear mine all covered in great big red and yellow flowers. Mind you if us oldies keep comparing our "Docs" it may just put Holly off. Great taste Holly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i loveeeee my docs =) theyre so preeeeeeeeeeeeetty, ima keep them foreverrr =P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had docs, even though I was a hat. Remember them, they were oxblood red and I used dubbing to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never had docs but I did have levi's and a crombie. You were a good suede, I remember your tonic suit, that was far too sharp.

    I wonder if anybody knows what I'm talking about in this day and age?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Philip Morgan commented on Facebook:

    "I had my first pair in May 1977 and they were like 'the future'. Unfortunately both soles of 'the future' got punctured in July 1977 and they became a pair of boots with squelchy/squeeky soles."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holly - I'm soooo jealous, I love your Docs and want a pair too but I'm 46 and I think I'd look sad in them now.
    I didn't have Doc Martens but I did have a pair of Clark's lookey likey shoes that I wouldn't take off my feet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrew Fisher commented on Facebook:

    I hope gangs of DM'd Skinnyeads chased you whenever you had the gaul to wear them in public with a view to kickin your beautiful ead in!!! If only your pals in the old bill knew....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Richard Shore commented Facebook:

    "Docs with roses...":

    "As they say in football, form is temporary, class is permanent."

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are fab boots and I don't think they're that pricy (skinflint!)

    ReplyDelete