Sunday 24 January 2010

I win…

Did you ever seen the rain coming towards you, felt the raindrops the instant after you saw, then wet faced with rain felt the air beside you dry?

It happens sometimes – a wall of rain moving across the way, edge-sliced as if with a steeled butcher’s knife.

Yesterday, Saturday afternoon, watching the dinghies in as day darkened and wind began to flap. Just watching, orange inflatable shepherding the bobbing vessels up-and-in before the rain could start. It came - a thin transparent veil across the chopping waters towards me. I’d only a moment to act… SNAP… Gotcha!

For a moment it was as if I were between worlds - caught waiting for the dry to stop and the wet to begin, from chilly to icy, soaking cold. It wouldn’t hurt, I’d survive, not made of sugar, not sweet enough for that. And then as one world turned to another, just after I’d snapped, as the first, second, third wet ball of rain splashed upon my face, I shivered with the shape of things to come. Standing between the grey of this and the grey of that I waited for the cold to begin, knowing that the cold would come, certain it would come again.

Gotcha… and my face turned wet with rain, the air beside me dry, rushing towards the car, in and out and warm. I’d stood on the edge of weather, seen it before it saw me, caught it before it captured me.

I win… this time.

2 comments: