Tuesday 5 January 2010

More snow...

I woke up this morning at 6.30 am to silence and a world of white. We have had snow, real snow, for the first time since I came to live in Manchester some twenty years ago. Crisp, clean, white, cold and deep.

After helping my neighbour across the road push her car (along with 4 other pushers) back into the drive where she had moved it from I thought about going into work. After ten seconds or so I stopped thinking about it. The snow is ten inches deep and it continues to snow.

The airport is closed, Holly's school (5 mins up the road) is closed, Gaynor's college is closed and the car park of the building where I work is closed - Manchester is at a standstill.

In another age we would have called this 'snowed in', perhaps we still do, but back then 'snowed in' meant 'stopped world' - so, isn't it amazing that within five minutes I can take a photo on my camera phone, write a blog post, e-mail my colleagues, and upload it all to Twitter and Facebook from the relative warmth of my kitchen.

The wonders of the modern world.

6 comments:

  1. Pamela Randall Commented on Facebook from Australia:

    God wish I was there that is some fall and we are in the middle of drought .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Della Jayne Roberts commented on Facebook from Australia:

    I really wish I was there - I have been listening to the wonderful rain outside and the crickets singing. It is now 10.22pm and is finally feeling cooler. It has been 30 (86) degrees today and painfully humid.
    Hard to believe we are in drought. But they have Level 5 water restrictions down the road. Floods in other areas of NSW. Have had bush fires in other parts of Australia.
    What I would give to be home in the snow!
    Take care
    Thinking of you...
    Love Della
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. David Searle commented on Facebook from his travbels:

    "As soon as leave the UK, it seems to get a "proper" winter like the ones recalled from the distant past - guess it must be all the global warming..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Currently looking at about 7 inches of snow here in Stockport, although this hasn't stopped my elderly neighbour twice going out in his car this morning. Made of sterner stuff, these old folk. Mind you, he's not returned from his second outing yet...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carl Smith messaged:

    Great pic - maybe a pain but snow looks so wonderful

    ReplyDelete