Wednesday 23 January 2013

Speaking ill of the dead...

“Death creates a prejudice in favour of the deceased ... I should like to find someone who knew Elizabeth Barnard and who does not know that she is dead! Then, perhaps, I should hear what is useful to me - the truth.”

Hercule Poirot - The ABC Murders

They say that you shouldn’t speak ill of the dead. I don’t know why. If you were a shit whilst you were alive then just being dead isn’t going to change that. Or do the dead have a special pass, a kind of ‘Get out of truth’ free card?

Of course this speaking ill of the dead thing isn’t about respect at all. It’s superstition. A hangover from times when people believed the deceased would come back to get you if you said a bad thing about them. Well, I haven’t seen Jimmy Saville’s ghost to date, or Mr. Hitler’s (whoops, there I go mentioning him again). What was said at Dr. Shipman’s funeral I wonder? Maybe they said that he was "a committed doctor, one of the very few who still made house calls."

It seems that regardless of how disliked or embarrassing somebody has been in life, no matter what outrages they caused, or what crimes they committed, the minute they shuffle off, popping their clogs on their way to the great beyond, a rosy-tinted nostalgia filter falls into place causing the deceased to be remembered as being better than they really were. For a lot of people, the reason for this is that the dead person isn’t there to defend themselves. Others might feel that it’s best to let the past be past and remember only good things - “Um... Yes, he really liked digging.”

Of course, if you stand to get a lot of money when Uncle Harley passes it’s probably a good idea to mumble nice things about the dearly departed at the funeral. Besides, there might be some anti-negative comment clause written into the will. Well… Uncle Harley was like that – nasty, abusive, mistrusting, penny-pinching, vindictive, cheat of a liar that he was.

Why say that a person had strong convictions when you really mean that they were an argumentative, arrogant, bigot? Should you really describe somebody as having interesting ideas when they were actually as crazy as a loon? Does death wipe away all your personality flaws, covering them with an artificial gloss like an undertaker painting a corpse’s face to hide the decay? Of course most people have many good things to be said about them, so many that it would hardly be worth mentioning that they poisoned cats when they came into their garden.

I hope at my funeral that there’s somebody there who tells the truth about me, and doesn’t wrap me up in a few sugary-coated observations. I say hope, because I don’t think that there will be many there who really know me. In fact I don’t think that there will be many there at all. Perhaps I’ll record my own eulogy and have it played through the sound system.

6 comments:

  1. Tony Payne What butties shall we have at the do?
    11 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    Andrew Height Tongue.
    11 hours ago · Like

    Tony Payne hahaha.
    11 hours ago · Like

    Tony Payne ...and make sure you leave me some of your doodles!
    11 hours ago · Like

    Andrew Height WILL do.
    11 hours ago · Like

    ReplyDelete

  2. Vicky Sutcliffe Who really knows anyone..... I vote for sardines on my sandwich.... There will be so many people there, we will feel like sardines!
    9 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    Andrew Height We'll see, but thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If my own experiences are any indication, I think its very hard not to let sleeping dogs lie in many cases . More than once Ive been faced with a blank page on which to vent my spleen and finally put some wrongs to rights, secrets I have kept that want to come out but once on the page they seem somewhat lame and mean. I think your point about not speaking ill of the dead is right but also in life we choose sometimes to let things pass. Bookshelves and newspapers are full of those choosing their own particular moment to become judge and jury over late family, friends and colleagues, but for every Mommie Dearest theres a High On Arrival.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zee Taylor Have you ever read the story of Saul who tormented the Christians, with his bullying tactics. If you ever have the time try getting a glimpse of his life. He was a person I read about in the bible that helped me to understand bullies. Having experienced bullies most of my childhood to youth life. I hated them with a capital 'H'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Andrew Height I was probably read it at Sunday school Zee. I'l check it out. I was the fat kid at school, so came in for my fair share from the bigger boys. What do they say... big fish eat little fish?

      Delete
  5. David Bell on Facebook:
    Mama, take this badge off of me I can't use it anymore. It's gettin' dark, too dark to see I feel I'm knockin' on heaven's door. Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door Knock, knock, knockin' on…

    ReplyDelete