Thursday 10 January 2013

Finding the marbles…

I keep convincing myself that tonight I’ll sleep better, going to bed tired and warm and then taking myself through all the tricks and techniques I learnt in hypnotherapy class. And, each night, for a while I do. But then the dreams kick in and I can be anywhere; in any situation; with anyone - but usually with people I used to work with back then. Each and every night they appear in my dreams.

But first I need to fall asleep. When the wine doesn’t work I take myself on a journey back through my life. Way, way back. All I have to do is sit in that warm comfortable room within my mind always knowing that I can return to my chair at any time I like. I can return to my chair at any time. Back from the blue door with the gently sloping, dusty corridor stretching into the distance behind it. I can return through the blue door and back into the room at any time that I want or need. Back from the corridor with the doors on each side. Doors slightly offset from left to right, alternating and numbered like a suburban street – 55, 53, 51, 49… 54, 52, 50, 48. The corridor of my life. My corridor. We never forget anything you know. It’s all there on record neatly filed and waiting to be rediscovered - taken out, dusted off, re-experienced. Through that door. Through the door and into that corridor. And I can come back into the room at any time I want or need.

Regression, it holds all the answers to who we are you see; and why we are who we are. I walk slowly down the corridor passing the doors on either side. I’m going down, going back. Memories of every younger me, times past but never gone. Back to the farthest door I can find. 11, 9, 7, 5. I pass through the door to my right. Here I am. Here are we.

I’m crying. It’s my birthday. The cake sits upon the table. Three blue candles in white, plastic fairy-hat holders burn on its icing sugar surface. My mum has iced the cake. I don’t want to blow them out. I want to watch them burn. I’m told to blow them out, make a wish. But I don’t want to. My cousin Gina is here. She’s laughing. I’m crying. I don’t want to blow them out. I see the candles through my tears. I’m being naughty. I’m always naughty. I slap Gina. She cries too. He’s in the room. He’s shouting again. He’s always shouting. Shouting and raging. I’m crying and raging. His shouting makes me cry more. My crying makes him shout more.

He grabs me up. It takes the wind out of me. A limp marionette, he rushes me out and into the hall. I can see the pattern of the deep green carpet and the polished brown-black of the painted cement floor as my head passes above it. I’m struggling, my arms and legs kicking out. I see the white sandals upon my feet as they thrash in the air. He looks at me – cold and harsh. He launches up the stairs. I’m going to my room.

You’re going to your room my boy.

My room - left of the bathroom at the top of the stairs with the big pine chest of drawers - but I don’t make it. As he passes the stairway window, half a dozen steps or so up, he swings me around and my head catches the thick red painted tile of the windowsill. I see the windowsill coming closer, each fleck of paint, the tiny hollows where the red has been repainted and repainted. I hear the bone ‘thunk’ as my head connects just above my eye. I feel the gouge expand as the corner of the windowsill enters the side of my head. The windowsill looks redder.

Numbing blackness.

Light. I’m in a pushchair. He’s stopped shouting. Head down, he pushes. My head feels funny and blood is dripping down my cheek. We are almost at the nursing home. Where are we? It wasn’t until years after that I knew. We go up the steps and in through the door. A dark haired nurse comes towards me. She kneels down and looks at the gouge in my head. She smiles. Her face is very close to mine. She smells nice. She cleans my face with stinging stuff. It hurts.

He fell rushing up the stairs, he says. He tripped and caught his head on the windowsill as he rushed, he says.

I say nothing.

Lucky it wasn’t a little lower. It could have been the eye, she says.

Yes, he says.

I don’t hear the words, but I hear them anyway. We aren’t speaking, but the words are there anyway.

I didn’t trip, I don’t say.

I’m alone. Out of the door, back along the corridor, touching my scar and remembering. I step back into the warm comfortable room and sit in my chair. When I open my eyes I am back in bed. I’m tired. I fall asleep… and dream of the people I used to work with back then.

18 comments:

  1. Lindsey Messenger on FB
    That is so sad...please try and think of nicer things. i just keep thinking that i had know idea!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian Maclachlan I've been enjoying the blogs again Andi. This was particularly interesting. I have flashes of memories from being 2 years old at least and yet I speak to people who seem not even to remember being 5 or 6. The memory is a very odd thing. I don't think you were naughty; I mean, it was your birthday for goodness sake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma Cholmondeley on FB
    Mmmmmmm....I remember something similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that day was like history repeating itself almost. The difference being that it was an unavoidable accident rather than an avoidable one and no lies were involved. Not my finest moment I'm afraid, apologies.

      Delete
  4. Memory and dreams. We have no real control over either. Memories are the things that have happened to us, dreams are interpretations of those things. This particular memory is my earliest to date. There is no dream here, no embellishment. I see it as it happened, not as if I were watching a film. Regression is a powerful thing. It can help us to understand why we behave and react in the way we do. I trained as a hypnotherapist in part to understand this and I can now access many of the memories lost to me, although there are many more doors still to open. These memories aren't happy or sad just the things that happened and I have no choice as I wander that corridor but to go wherever I feel I need to. A while ago I'd have said this was nonsense. But there are people who know this memory to be true in even the tiniest detail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very interested to know as a trained hypnotherapist what you think of us having the same dream over and over again. For years i have been plagued with the same dream - is there a reason for this you can think of ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that you'll already know the answer Margaret. General opinion is that it is usually an unresolved issue, often from childhood. Sometimes it is a traumatic event, other times just a small thing that has grown as we have grown until it is out of proportion. It's like a habit. We expect to dream it so we do. One way to deal with it is lucid dreaming. This is where you enter your dream and take control and break the habit.

      After saying this Margaret I dream about my ex-work colleagues every night. My issue is that I haven't been able to redirect my life so that I am as satisfied with it as I was before I was made redundant (such an awful word). I'm grieving really. Despite knowing this and how to deal with it I still dream about them. Perhaps I like it.

      Delete
    2. The subconscious is such a strange place.

      Delete
    3. I too dream of ex colleagues and friends long since departed, some who Ive not thought about in my waking hours for quite some considerable time. Not sure Willy Rushton chasing me through a Chinese market really counts as grieving though but I take your point

      Delete
    4. Sounds like a marvellous escapade. I'd swap my dreams for yours any day, although last night I dreamt about a school of whales beaching themselves and I couldn't get down the rocks to the beach to help them.

      Delete
    5. not sure quite what Willys purpose or motive is when he's pursuing me, all i know for sure is I can see his red and white sweater behind me and hear his beard rustling against the garments of the casual Chinese market browsers and I dont feel like stopping around to find out

      Delete
    6. What a marvellous image. Perhaps you should stop and confront him if you want it to stop. For my part any dream containing Willy Rushton would be great - at least I think it would.

      Delete
    7. Willy was a lovely dear sweet man, very prone to disabling bouts of self doubt and depression but we were friends for many many years and i shared many of his ups and downs - i just don't know what he wants with me in a Chinese market or what he's in such a rush for - can you manipulate dreams in the way you suggest ?

      Delete
    8. The simple answer is yes. It takes practice and patience though. Here's a starter: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/how-to-control-your-dreams.html

      Delete
  6. David Bell on FB

    Powerful stuff

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great to have you back Andy. I'm really enjoying WAWL 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness, remaining lucid during my waking hours is endeavor enough these days, attempting to dream lucidly sounds like attempting to explain Scrabble to my cat, but if I get to tackle Willy I will let you know

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't believe that for a moment Margaret. You are very lucid, and I'm sure that if you put your mind to it you could easily explain Scrabble to your cat.

    ReplyDelete