Tuesday 22 January 2013

On being a bully...

First things first… I’m a bully, always have been and always will be.

As a child I was horrible. Well, I can be pretty horrible now given the wrong circumstances and enough pushing. But as a child I was a nasty piece of work. Looking back I realise that I bullied anybody weaker or younger than myself, forcing them to do what I wanted regardless of what they thought of it. I once made my sister stand with a dart board propped against her leg while I threw darts at it. I missed and one of the darts stuck into her leg which, unsurprisingly, made her bleed and cry.

Yes, I was always into malicious mischief, ‘A little sod’ as my Gran often called me. And I was; I played some horrible tricks on my Gran – not impish naughtiness, vindictive, nasty, and trouble-making. Of course there were reasons for this behaviour, which I won’t go into just now, but however you look at it I was plain bad.

Of course these were the days of ‘a good smack’ and the cane was still around. Yes, bullying was rife throughout my childhood, at school and at home. It didn’t take much for one of the bigger boys to set on you, or for you to get a slap for not understanding your homework on a Sunday evening. I once had my hand blistered when it was held against a boiling school radiator for ten minutes by two other boys in gloves (Luke Doyle and Stephen Castle if you are reading this be ashamed). And of course patience was in short supply at home. If a sneer or bellow didn’t get you moving, then a slap around the head would spur you into action.

As I grew older I hid my bullying behind a joke, a jolly jape to make others laugh. But whichever way you looked at it, it was bullying pure and simple. I’d even join in with other bullies sometimes – well, there’s strength in numbers and better to be ‘in’ than ‘out’. At least that’s how it seemed at the time.

In my early twenties I was still bullying. Not physically, but with clever words and actions. By this time I was a big boy myself but I still only picked on people I knew wouldn’t retaliate. They didn’t have to be smaller than me, just more tolerant or weaker or just plain nicer; although I bullied the small as well - just how my two step daughters put up with me at times I’ll never know.

Yes getting my own way was very important to me and sometimes I really didn’t care how I did it, or what I put others through to get it.

I don’t remember having a Damascus moment. But gradually as I got older, gained experience managing people, I began to realise that pushing doesn’t ever get the best results. Oh, it gets you to where you are going to, but there are casualties along the way - far better to travel with people than to drive the train too hard and derail it.

Even so, I’m still a bully inside and sometimes I feel him trying to get out. Occasionally he escapes and I struggle to force him back in. Sometimes though, when the need arises, I let him out on purpose.

They say it takes one to know one and I agree. I can spot a bully at a hundred yards and I’ve spotted plenty in my time. These days, rather than avoid or ignore them like I used to try to do, I always try to stand up to them. Luckily I’ve not yet met a bully holding a knife, but I’ve had some hairy moments. It’s got me into some very hot water at times with bullying bosses, and recently I found myself being poked in the head by a very angry man half my age and twice my strength. I just looked him in the eye until he stopped. He knew I could see the bully in him and he could see the bully in me I think. Don’t misunderstand me. I’m not brave and I hate pain just as much as the next person, but bullies make me see red because I know their pathetic games so well. After all I play them too. So now, rather than back down, I’ll play a bully at his own game.

You see the only upside of being a bully is that you know how to bully the bullies back until they stop or just go away. Not a very forgiving, turn the other cheek, attitude I grant you - but I’d rather get burnt fighting fire with fire than let a bully get away with it.

12 comments:

  1. I like the photo and the red mask is it you Andy? great image

    ReplyDelete

  2. Lindsey Messenger on FB.
    No you werent horrible...but wellll... i do remember once in grans front room you scareing me and Ian by saying grampies eyes in his photo were moving and watching us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were though. That was a strange picture. I wonder where it is now.

      Delete
  3. Tony Payne on FB
    Great piece Andy. Heartfelt, and well done for accepting some stuff you'd probably rather not and maybe hard to write for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zee Taylor on FB
    Wow Andy, I am touched by you sharing a side of you that for some people would rather hide and cover up. I use to often think that there's more to you than what meets the eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Andrew Height Just the truth and if you can't face the truth about yourself what hope is there?

      Delete
    2. Tony Payne on FB
      Is that you bullying then?

      Delete
  5. FB likes: Kieran Goodwin and Nick Jones like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As someone who was bullied consistently over a great many years, your acceptance of being a bully is strangely familiar. I don't confess to knowing you as well as your other blog contributors, but Ive read your piece a few times now and what leaps out at me is although you acknowledge your own nature and profess to it openly, the only reason you give for it subsiding over the years was a strategic one and not from guilt or shame. The effects of being made to feel bad about yourself or inadequate in the workplace can last a lot longer than the burns from a radiator. Just an observation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a slow waking up actually Margaret, not strategic but a fundamental change in my behaviour based on a recognition of what I was. Guilt and shame are pointless without change, and yes I feel both for many of my actions.

      Delete
  7. Kevin Burke on FB
    wonderful piece of heartfelt emotion. loved it.

    ReplyDelete