Friday 25 January 2013

Doppelganger...

My brother in law had a strange experience last week. Mind you he is Australian, and that might account for it. Joking aside, here in his own words is what happened to him.

Walking to work along City Walk in Canberra this morning I thought I saw my double. A man approaching me from the left, he had a shaved head; that first caught my eye. As he was walking across in front of me I noticed he had a build similar to me and was around my height; OK then, he was fairly short!! Next to become even weirder was that he was wearing black shoes; black trousers and a black/grey shirt. Strange because I was wearing exactly the same clothes. As he was walking away from me it became even stranger, in his right hand he was carrying a black plastic bag from Myer, I too was carrying a black plastic bag from Myer in my right hand. Not a mirror or shop window nearby, I just wish I'd taken a photo to verify the strangeness of it all!

Mmmm…sounds like a Doppelganger to me.

His message reminded me of the time I drove past myself on the way back from Scarborough. There I was on the A64 heading towards York when, on the other side of the road, there was I driving along in a grey Vauxhall Insignia just like the one I was driving. I looked closely at the driver and he looked at me - same grey hair, same dark blue suit, same light blue open necked shirt, same flat expression. I’m sure that I saw myself smile as I passed myself. Then I was gone; disappearing in the rear view mirror of the distance as the two of me drew away from each other.

Doppelganger: a ghostly double of a living person that haunts its living counterpart. I often see him in the mirror.

5 comments:

  1. "The Man Who Haunted Himself" - I blame the moustache...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never decide if that film was good or dad. Do you have a Dopellganger Martin?

      Delete
    2. I'm sure that there's a more likable, jollier, happier and more sociable version of me out there somewhere...

      Don't have a clue as to where you might find him though...

      Delete
  2. Sharon Hutt commented on Facebook
    Sharon wrote: "I definitely had one in Aylesbury when I was late teens/early 20s. I never met her but people were always coming up to me thinking I was her. All I knew about her was that she worked at Equitable Life. Led to lots of confusing conversations. I wish I had met her."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that'll be a Bucks thing then. Lot of that sort of thing in Bucks.

      Delete