Sunday 6 January 2013

Not the real world...

A happy New Year.

Yes, I know it’s a week late, but I’ve been away in a dim, dull, and dismally grey Wales. A few days away from things, time to take stock. And part of that taking stock was to think about this blog, my blog, the one that I used to write daily which seemed to fizzle out as the end of last year approached. There are a few reasons for that fizzle. For one thing I was busy at the glass face and there was other writing to do. Then there was the nasty taste left by one of my readers who turned into a troll. And then of course I didn’t have much to say, or the will to say it - a kind of writer’s block.

There were plenty of things I could have written about of course; the long build up to Christmas with the decorating of the house; the little Christmas trees along our path; Patrick Moore’s sad demise; my walrus whiskers; that excellent Aldi ad that rather put John Lewis in its place; another end of the world that didn’t happen; Chester’s move to his new and splendid home with his new owners; that terrible, if not completely unpredictable, killing spree in America; my bloody father. I often found myself thinking: ‘that would make a good blog post’ - only to rush on to the next thing.

So, I’ve taken stock of this blog and I found that, whilst I don’t have to write it, if I don’t part of my purpose has gone. There are some things that I need to write about simply to get them out there and others that I’m sure will come along as they occur. I’m pretty sure that the blog will keep going, but I don’t expect it to be a daily thing. I’ve decided to write it as and when I want to write it and I’m thinking of limiting it to 15 minutes writing time each time I do.

You see, my blog is my world in many ways. Not the real world, but my world - a painted sky, a poured candle, and a lump of calcified coral picked from a beach long ago.

Yes, the real world can wait. Watch this space there may be a few surprises.


11 comments:

  1. Richard Shore, Linda Kemp, Laura Keegan and 7 others like this.

    Liz Shore Welcome back
    13 hours ago via mobile · Like

    Andrew Height Thanks Liz
    13 hours ago · Like

    Glynne T Kirkham Glad you didn't blog 'angry' over Christmas. Your blog is brilliant and something you should be really proud of. It shouldn't be all encompassing though and take over your life. It's part of you, and will always be (hopefully) but its just words on t'internet.
    12 hours ago via mobile · Like

    Emma Cholmondeley Happy New Year to you too
    12 hours ago · Like

    Bernadette Doyle Happy New Year, what's a troll?
    12 hours ago via mobile · Like

    Linda Kemp Welcome back andi and Happy New Year - we've missed you. Keep on blogging! xx
    12 hours ago · Like

    Vicky Sutcliffe Hello you! Welcome back. Xxx
    11 hours ago · Like

    Andrew Height Internet Troll
    A person whose sole purpose in life is to seek out people to argue with on the internet. In this case though it was a personal attack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to have you back Andy. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my husband said i was angry once over christmas too, but i told him 'well, the dinner wont cook itself' - we laughed long and loud & it broke the tension and i often tell the story to those whose festive period is clouded in stress - hope i could help x

    ReplyDelete
  4. David Bell Love the photograph
    4 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    Lindsey Messenger Happy New Year.....good to have you back

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is Patrick Moore really dead or was a that a joke ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm afraid he's really dead.

      Delete
    2. whenever i hear Wonderland by Night played on the Sonor Meisterklasse KS50P I gaze upwards and think of him. A dear, sweet and gentle man. RIP Pat x

      Delete
  6. Writers Block - Robert Dougal once told me “Very often we write down a sentence too early, then another too late; what we have to do is write it down at the proper time, otherwise it's lost.” fine advice from a lovely and much missed newsreader and friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words of wisdom from a wise man. Thanks Margaret.

      Delete
  7. Bowie is back after a 10 year gap so..... time to take stock is always good and maybe even a luxury.
    Enjoy your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm looking forward to hearing his new stuff. From what I understand it's retrospective and auto-biographical.

      Delete