Thursday 24 January 2013

The neighbourhood thrush...

I’d seen him before in the yew tree at the end of the road. He’s usually too high up for me to get a decent look, but I often hear him singing and it always brings a small flutter off a smile to my lips.

Today though, he was sitting just above me in the lower branches as I passed. I stopped to look. What a magnificent bird, so proud looking, his beak thrust out and his chest puffed. He hopped onto a lower branch and as he did, the light caught his spotted breast. It reminded me of a leopard’s skin with that tawny-gold sheen and deep brown speckledness. It reminded me of a spotted dick pudding, rich sponge and darkest currants. It reminded me of tie I once had – what happened to that I wonder?

I stood looking up for a minute or so and then he began to sing. A small flutter of a smile and a strange compunction to applaud came upon me. Of course I didn’t, what a picture that would have painted – an aging, smiling, man standing on the pavement, looking into the air and clapping. Perhaps they’d have carted me off to the funny farm.

Anyway, I listened for a while and then, noticing me with his shiny black eyes, he flew off startled. Perhaps I looked madder that I thought.

3 comments:

  1. Paul Whitehouse on FB
    Try Canestan to get rid of him

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joely Saffron Sant on FB
    Thrush in a Bush!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coincidentally, on the BBC website today...

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/21143664

    ReplyDelete