Saturday 12 January 2013

Home truths…

After the investigation it seems that Jimmy Saville’s crimes were far worse and even more despicable that first reported. Just how did he get away with it for so long? A lot of very blind eyes must have been turned, strings pulled, favours called in and no doubt, threats made. From national treasure to monster, the worst sex offender this county has ever known, in the turn of a few months.

Of course that isn’t quite true. It was going on for decades and a lot of people knew about Saville; victims, co-abusers, the authorities, friends and colleagues - and surely his family must have known. Yes, judging by the way they ripped out his hideous gravestone memorial under cover of night they must have known something. Not everything perhaps, but something.

What strange things families are? Most have their secrets, things they don’t want anyone else to know - a beater, an abuser, a violent drunk, a liar, a cheat - things that they find too uncomfortable to share. It’s not all simpleton children hidden away in attics and mad twin brothers, shame can be made of much smaller things than that. Shame, that’s what the denial and covering-up is about. Nobody likes to be shamed.

With family secrets everyone in the immediate vicinity usually knows anyway. They know about the deformed monster chained-up in the cellar. They are just too polite, embarrassed, frightened, indifferent, or sick of it to say. It’s just his way … He doesn’t mean any harm… I’m sure that it was a mistake - or worse still… I don’t believe you.

Yes, blood is thicker than water, but mud is thicker than blood and there’s no excuse for doing nothing. In Saville’s case his family did nothing because of the rewards they received. According to his niece, he bribed them into silence. If Saville’s family had outed him for what he was, and not left him to get away with it over and over again, maybe so many innocent people wouldn’t have been hurt.

7 comments:

  1. I dont for one minute think you fall into this category, but I feel a lot of commentators and certainly the purveyors of common chatter I hear are quite enjoying the view from the top of Mount Self-Righteous Indignation.
    The late Patrick Campbell once said something to me that remained in my thoughts
    " If "ifs' and 'buts' were candy and nuts, we'd all have a very merry xmas"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows, perhaps I do fall into that category, but as I explained in earlier posts - I really can understand a man making a mistake. With him it though it was a cynical campaign of continued sexual abuse over many years, often against the very weakest members of society. To me that is truly evil. I think there is no doubt he was a very bad and clever man. But then I only met him once so can't really judge.

      Delete
    2. The other thing that probably makes me so edgy on this is that, as one who has known abuse myself, I feel very deeply for his victims.

      Delete
  2. The suffering of his victims, the truly horrendous nature of his crimes and his pure and undiluted wickedness is never in doubt. I met him rather more than once but can only repeat what many others, more qualified, have already said - although a strange and unlikeable man, his crimes weren't printed on his t-shirt and weren't written on his forehead and my point was rather more about people standing on top of their self built hill of indignation and pointing fingers in whichever way their own moral compass points them and spraying blame like some Benedrine puff-adder - present company excepted of course

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, casting first stones and all that. By all accounts he was a very clever man - but then most truly bad people are.

      Delete
  3. I believe serial killer Fred West had severe learning difficulties whilst Ted Bundy was, as you suggest, highly intelligent so Im not sure the pattern always fits. I believe we are all capable of the most horrific acts and crimes but something in our brains stops us - I guess if we could identify those amongst us who's conscious had a serious flaw then we wouldn't be having this conversation right now

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take your point Margaret although I watched a docudrama on Fred West and he struck me as both clever and highly manipulative. Intelligence and cleverness may be different things.

    I think you are right about us all having the capacity to do terrible things. All we really need is permission to do them as happens in most totalitarian regimes and war. Most people won't give themselves permission, somebody else need to do that for them. Thanks for making me think Margaret.

    ReplyDelete