Wednesday 9 January 2013

When in doubt...

Sometimes it’s the small things that make you feel better… as Mae West said: “When in doubt, take a bath.” Well, I’m with her on that - particularly as I was given a couple of packets of Pears soap for Christmas. Pears soap, now that takes me back, makes me feel safe and secure. As a child I’d stand outside the local chemist gazing in at the bars on display in the window. They looked so luxurious, amber bars of deepest orange, translucently fascinating, a solid elixir of forest, coal and magical herbs, like looking at a pirate’s chest of rare and beautiful treasures.

I know, I know, it’s only a bar of soap, but for some reason Pears has always held a special fascination for me. Maybe it’s the fact that it’s the oldest continuously existing brand in the world, first registered in 1789. Or perhaps it’s the nostalgia of those old ads; Pre-Raphaelite boys blowing bubbles; dusky, smiling, south sea maidens; puppies and kittens. No, maybe not.

Then perhaps it’s that wonderfully thick oval shape. The shape of a bar of Pears is just right for the bath. So comfortably concave that it fits your hand as if each bar were bespoke just for you…almost undroppable

Of course it could be that for some strange reason I’ve always thought of it as posh… and the smell is like nothing else… and that colour…

Sometimes I find myself gazing into the amber depths half expecting to find a Jurassic wasp or ant captured deep inside its substance.

As a child I don’t remember washing with Pears - my first Pears memory is another Christmas as a teenager - but strangely that freshly laundered, gently spiced aroma and slight tarmac tang immediately takes me back to childhood every time I breathe it in.

Inhale deeply. You can almost smell it can’t you?

A few years ago they changed the formula. It affected the look and smell substantially and causing such uproar on Facebook that they had to change it back, well almost. Like everything in this modern world Pears isn’t as pure or natural as it used to be. I missed all that so will never know how the ‘new’ Pears smelled or looked. Of course, with the advent of hand soap dispensers and shower gels, bars of soap of any kind are becoming increasingly hard to find. The only soap easily obtainable seems to be that horrible Dove stuff, also made by Unilever. I wonder how long it will be before Pears soap goes the way of Corona pop and the Dodo?

Oh well, time for a bath. I wonder if you can still buy Wright’s coal tar soap.

6 comments:

  1. I found some Wright's coal tar soap and had a nice long bath with it. Made me feel better for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lissa Tam, Richard Shore and Liz Shore like this.

    Mike King Yeeeruuurrrcchhhh smelly nasty stuff. Don't like the sickly sweet almost coal tar but not quite smell.
    14 hours ago via mobile · Like

    Andrew Height Funnily enough Mike, I've just had a bath with a bar of Wright's. I smell great.
    14 hours ago · Like · 1

    Samantha MacAree I love the smell:)
    13 hours ago · Like

    Liz Shore We use both Pears and Wrights - I tell Jacob and Hannah that it's so I can smell when they have been washed .
    13 hours ago via mobile · Like

    Mike King It's bad enough I use a coal tar shampoo. Imperial Leather all the way
    13 hours ago via mobile · Like

    Andrew Height I detest Imperial Leather.
    13 hours ago · Like

    Lindsey Messenger Mmmmm love Pears soap x
    11 hours ago · Like

    Kingsley Roberts I use it everyday, can't live without it. Found a place where I can get 18 bars for about $16
    10 hours ago via mobile · Like

    Laura Keegan Rich brought some of that vile wrights soap home last week, even after I told him I can't stand it, I could smell it all over the house. So I threw it out the window. I Love pears soap though
    8 hours ago via mobile · Like

    Bernadette Doyle I have Pears liquid hand wash if that counts?
    about an hour ago via mobile · Like

    Andrew Height Camay anyone?
    A few seconds ago · Like

    ReplyDelete
  3. After an unfortunate incident in a hotel in Charnock Richard many years ago Im seemingly allergic to sandlewood so have to be very careful which soap I use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glyn Bailey on FB
    My Mum used to buy Imperial Leather....used it till all that was left was a tiny remnant under the foil label....happy days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year Happy New Year Glyn. Yes I remember that weird label thing. Why stick a scratchy foil label on a bar of soap.

      Delete
  5. Vicky Sutcliffe on FB
    Pears for me!

    ReplyDelete