Wednesday 25 April 2012

Instant garden...


Well it had to come I guess; my yearly blog about planting seeds although this year I am very late to the party. This time last year my seeds were seedlings awaiting planting out. Not this year though. I planted some seeds last week and when I say some I mean a few. No, I don't think that my garden will be quite as magnificent in what I like to think of as its tropicality this year.

You never know though, maybe my nasturtiums from last year could reseed themselves - there are small beige seed pods everywhere and perhaps the Canary creeper will return. Either way, I've seeded a few sunflowers, some beautiful lilac sweet peas, and a mixed packet of what the packet describes as mixed climbing annuals. Unbelievably I planted them on Sunday and by Monday the first seed was through and here we are only three days later and they are pretty much all up. I know it's hard to believe but it's true. I think that the kitchen work-surface, the one with the radiator underneath, must think it's a propagator.


The mixed pack, bought in the sale for 10p at Wilkinson's as usual, contains all sorts by the look of the picture, or as it proclaims...
"

A wonderful selection of vigorous and colourful annual climbers, providing colourful cover for
trellis and fences. Or, use to screen unsightly areas of the garden. Contents may vary."

Contents may vary...

I'll keep you posted... exciting isn't it.

5 comments:

  1. Nick Jennings on Facebook: ‎
    "planted them on Sunday" eh? I imagine you had a busy day sunday :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Early hours - I never can sleep before a big race.

      Delete
  2. Lindsey Messenger on Facebook:
    Yes it is exciting!! Wish I had green fingers, I don't take after my dad xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey - try this. Put some compost in a plastic takeaway container with a lid - stick some seeds in the compost (sunflowers and nasturtiums are easy and look good in a tub or bog pot together) water the compost, stick on the lid, put on a radiator in the light... watch.

      Delete