Monday 9 April 2012

Easter in Wales...

Arriving Thursday evening first job was to put out food for the birds. They were there in minutes. Blue tits are nesting again in the bird box, great tits, robins, chaffinches and doves – the usual suspects.

Almost like I’d never been away but truth is it’s been months since I was here last and didn’t the garden show it. It isn’t a big garden, but I have a lot of pots and the holly tree had dropped what seemed to be a ton of leaves. So, weather much better than forecast, we set to with the broom and shovel and a couple of hours here and there it was soon tidy if nothing else.

I scattered some seeds, all sorts – my trusty nasturtiums, sunflowers, lobelia, mimulus, others to – all bought from Wilkinson’s in last years sale. Time was when I’d do much more but I don’t know when I’ll be here again and through the summer it was hard enough to keep things alive being a weekend visitor, so it would be impossible now. No, the seeds are on their own and I’m not even considering bedding.

Talking of beds I’ve slept really well the last couple of nights, waking only once instead of the hour on hour I’ve grown used to.

I haven’t done much. Read a little, cooked a little, met up with an old friend for an hour, drank some wine and beer, allowed Gaynor to drive me around – we brought her car not mine, hers is better with petrol.

In my mind I’m thinking that maybe it’s time to come here. Sort the cottage out. Put in a wood burning stove and an aga, build an extension maybe, erect a summerhouse, get broadband. It’d make sense. We don’t need much and there’s an Aldi in Porthmadog.

Is there a plan in there somewhere I wonder? I don't know, I really don't. One part of me says run, another part of me says keep trying. Maybe I should just run and try somewhere else.

Anyway, the weather was okay most of the time apart from today and that was for driving back anyway. When next I wonder?

9 comments:

  1. Good to have you back and blogging but I'm happy you made it to Wales, always a haven I feel.
    Joan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bolt hole might describe it more aptly.

      Delete
  2. Colin Tickle on Facebook
    Great pic.. run Andy, run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John Armstrong on Facebook:
    Nice pic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Della Jayne Roberts on Facebook:
    I'd live there - and there's an ALDI ♥ xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicky Sutcliffe on Facebook:
    Welcome back

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsey Messenger on Facebook: Good blog as always...have missed you. glad you had a nice easter break. Have had a great break away also with ali and roger at sue and nicks in cornwall....travel home tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. David Bell on Facebook:
    Must be nice to have a bolt-hole

    ReplyDelete