Tuesday 17 April 2012

A few thoughts on handwriting:

I was jotting down a few words on paper today when a thought occcurred to me: is there really any need for anybody to learn to write any more?

Does anybody write any more?

I’m not speaking about putting words into sentences with commas and full stops, they’ll always be a need for that I think (think, not know), I’m talking about handwriting. You know that stuff that we all struggled with at school where we picked up a pencil and learnt to draw the alphabet, getting ‘b’ and ‘d’ around the wrong way and getting confused between kicking and curly.

My gran used to write in the most beautiful copperplate writing, I think everybody of her generation did. Even I was taught to take pride in my handwriting, repeatedly drawing curve patterns before we were even allowed to start trying to write joined-up. Same pattern over and over again, like a wave, like a wave breaking. I could almost hear the whoosh of the sea after a couple of hours or so of wave after wave.

For a while at junior school our hew headmaster insisted that we all write with italic nibs and learn to write in an italic style. I can’t remember how long it lasted but I do remember that it was hard and that I never fully mastered it, although something must have caught because my good handwriting is full of flourish and slant.

I’m one of those people who can write very nicely when I want to, although my ‘best’ handwriting is really me drawing letters – well it goes with the territory. At my worst my handwriting is a lazy, messy, indecipherable scrawl which even I can’t read back at times. If I write a shopping list you can guarantee that when I get to the shops not only have I forgotten what I wanted but I can’t read my list either – for some reason the letters have turned into just a series of squiggly, runic, jottings.

I have lots of thoughts on handwriting. Handwriting is such a personal thing. It can say so much about you as a person. There are whole police departments who do nothing else but analyse it. Does our personality influence our handwriting or does our handwriting influence our personality? Is handwriting art?

So what about the future? There’s almost no need to pick up a pen these days; the keyboard is the new pen and paper, e-mail the new letter (and no wonder with the price of a stamp), lists are captured on your phone, notes are no longer left for you; you simply receive a text instead, even love letters are 'hearted' on Facebook. Kids do still learn to write with pens on paper at school but I really do wonder for how much longer.

14 comments:

  1. I think that I'm too impatient to write "properly" any more, hence my own indecipherable scrawl that I can't fathom most days either. I think my handwriting was at its best during those "Hand-written spec" years and it's been all downhill since then...

    (Strangely "waves" were much on my mind recently too, but about that, more tomorrow...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - the hand written spec. I'd agree with you.

      Delete
    2. Oddly, in the "alternate universe" segments of the USTV series "Fringe" one of the "differences" between the universes is the lack of paper and pens. That version of reality was supposed to be slightly ahead of ours technologically and the personal electonic notepad had made such things redundant...

      Mind you, how you'd put out a note for the milkman to ignore is anyone's guess...

      Delete
  2. Colin Tickle on Facebook:
    As someone who never quite mastered writing and can type with reasonable speed/accuracy.... writing is nicht kapputt. Give me a training course where i need to annotate to myself and i will use pen and pad every time. Keyboard or touch screens still don't cut it. Until they develop a touch screen with the same resistance and refresh rate as paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicky Sutcliffe As far as Jake is concerned... Hand writing is a complete waste of time.... Though he is on strict mummy rules where I insist he does it! And he gets extra electronic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glyn Bailey on Facebook:
    Depends why you're communicating and who with......how can you compare an impersonal email to a handwritten letter?....characters scratched with ink onto beautiful parchment paper applied with love and attention?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick Jennings on facebook:
    ok, which of you has ever typed a love letter, and did it work?

    ReplyDelete
  6. David Bell on Facebook: My eldest daughter had a beautiful italic script but had to change it to a standard cursive script to avoid being penalised in her GCSE's and A levels - so sad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew Height - All great responses - but methinks the day of the quill and parchment, or even the biro and notepad are almost gonee. As for love letters Nick - isn't that what Facebook is for?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andy Lloyd on Facebook:
    My late uncle started his career as a solicitors' clerk responsible for hand writing all manner of legal documents in beautiful copper-plate. He had an obvious pride in his work. Even notes for the milkman were small works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrew Casson on Facebook:
    Interesting use of Sütterlin script in your illustration... can you read it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I af not gotten much of ze German... but I chose it because as a style it flows so beautifully.

      Delete