Friday 20 April 2012

Moustachioed men…

A moustache can say so much about a man. With a glance it can define him as a cad, an eccentric, even a dictator.

Who’d have thought that Charlie Chaplin’s funny little comedy moustache, so popular at the time, would go on to become such a symbol of hatred and oppression when worn by another man. So much so that nobody really sports that type of moustache any more... well apart from Russel Mael that is.

At my school most of my teachers sported moustaches. In fact the headmaster’s nickname was Stosh because he sported an Errol Flynne just beneath his nose (there’s a smutty joke in there if you want there to be) and the assistant headmaster, Ronnie, had almost a Hitler style postage stamp but as it was grey it seemed okay. Clibbo had a beard, the English Master (Jenners) a magnificent black handlebar, Primo (History) a whisp, Stinks (Biology) a Mexican bandit, Gilbey (Music) a runaway train, Aw, Henry! (Latin) a pencil lip... even Matron had the suggestion of a full bar above her fulsome pink lips.

And some of the upper sixth had them - as only they were allowed - but all of us boys left the fluff to grow beneath our noses for as long as we dared before being ordered to shave it off. I was never very successful, but even today I would love to grow a moustache. I dream of a long wiry Dali that I would wax and twirl in the way of all those screen villains from the silent era - you know the ones, the ones that tied young ladies to the tracks in front of approaching trains or onto conveyor belts in sawmills, the ones who wore stove-pipe hats and cloaks.

Unfortunately though I just can’t seem to manage it, and on the occasions that I’ve tried I’ve given up after a couple of weeks unimpressed by the rate of progress. Anyway, I’m not sure that my face is the right shape; my nose too flat, my lip too straight, and if I were to try again it would probably (definitely) be grey. Yes, I guess that I am doomed to be tacheless... but maybe, just maybe, I’ll give it one last try.

Watch this space…

11 comments:

  1. I had a ‘tasche for about twelve hours once so I could do my "Ronald Colman" bit at a cocktail party, but when I woke up I looked like the sort of bloke who washed the vehicles on a used car lot, and off it came, never to return. I still can't believe I went to buy a paper looking like that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cocktail party? How very, very. I'd have gone with a Poirot, mind you it would have had to be a stick-on.

      Delete
  2. Ian Maclachlan in Facebook:
    Only in a petri dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian Maclachlan on Facebook:
    My friend Zoran Pokusevski tried but he

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim Preston on Facebook:
    I grew a beard recently and was thinking of shaving it off to a Hitler moustache but I bottled out at the last minute. Why is it so emotive even now? I feel trapped by dogma and convention. Or am I a fashion victim? :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martin A W Holmes on Facebook: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8218726.stm

    BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Is wearing a 'Hitler moustache' a good idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why isn't it called a Chaplin moustache I wonder?

      Delete
  6. Andy Brewer on Facebook:
    I grew one when I was in the Village People

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joan Dixon on Facebook:
    I've tried but it never worked...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lindsey Messenger on Facebook:
    Nah...never really fancied one...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Somehow, mine looked OK with my long hippy hair in '80 but looks rediculous in my wedding photos with short hair just a few years later.

    ReplyDelete