Friday 13 April 2012

The cosmic coffee cup...

A friend sent me details of this:

… Good SF and Fantasy written in less than 140 characters? Impossible! – Or is it? Take the challenge, take part in the @BSFA’s TWEETFICTION TWEETSTREAM

A competition. Now, I rarely take part in competitions, considering the disappointment of losing (after total conviction that I would win) not worth it.

On the occasions that I have been tempted almost all have ended in grumpiness and that awful feeling of embarrassment that I find so hard to shake off, having to sing La-La-La out loud whenever the embarrassing failure pops into my mind in order to drive that all-too-easily remembered feeling of ridiculousness away.

La-La-La.

Of course there was a time in my early life when I seemed to win all the time. Competition at school was encouraged back then and not frowned upon, and any competition involving ‘making’ or ‘drawing’ I’d usually win. One year I won the Christmas log competition with a wonderful scene of reindeers and holly, white glitter snow, and a curly red candle - almost Narnia in miniature perched upon a hollowed out log. It was so good that one of the Dix twins told my teacher that I’d bought it at the local gift shop; his brother confirmed this saying that they’d both seen me buy it. Of course it was untrue, I had made my log, but it wasn’t until my teacher visited the shop and confirmed that they didn’t sell Christmas logs that I was fully believed.

Looking back now it must have been a really professional looking log and those spiteful Dix twins must have been very jealous, but even now I’m embarrassed by the whole event.

La-la-la.

Anyway, the tweeting competition - good SF and Fantasy written in less than 140 characters – 134 to be exact as the other 6 were needed for the hashtag. I decided to enter, God knows why, and tweeted and e-mailed my entry, receiving an e-mail back from a Martin Potts (the BSFA treasurer) thanking me and telling me my entry had been noted.

NOTED! Well in that case of course I’ll win. How couldn’t I? My entry has been noted no less. I will be the winner! Unless, of course, the Dix twins put in a complaint to Martin Potts and scupper my hopes.

Here’s my story – I was wondering what would happen if the Creator needed to make a cup of coffee. Where would he get the power to do it? Maybe it would need a lot of power, and what would be more important to him good coffee or our universe? Here it is in 134 characters exactly...

'Supreme Being. On. No turning off now. Well, a universe is one thing but coffee’s coffee. Bye universe… smell the aroma! Tea anyone?'

Well, at least I tried… La-la-la.

4 comments:

  1. Well, at least yours was "noted"... Me I got nuttin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which may be a positive sign.

      Delete
    2. Hmmm… I suspect it was more likely a SNAFU of some sort.

      Ah well, I’m kind of getting used to the fact that, when it comes to t’interweb – all the Fizzboks, Twitworlds and even dear old Blogger - I’m pretty much “The Invisible Man...”

      However, to quote the late, lamented Howard Beale, “I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!”

      Except of course, I will… I always do...

      Delete
    3. Yep, That's what I do...

      Delete