Wednesday 11 April 2012

Clowning around...


Clowns, for many years they simply made me laugh. Our family outings to the circus didn’t seem horrific at all, the clowns just men with silly painted faces who did ridiculous things with buckets of water, buckets of paper, squirty flowers, big falling-over shoes, collapsible cars, and stupid amazed expressions when everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

No, I simply didn’t know I was meant to be scared of clowns until I began reading Stephen King and the rest of the ‘clowns are scary’ brigade. Suddenly every drain held a clown waiting to grab me by the legs, Chucky’s teeth were going to tear into my skin, and that floppy clown in Poltergeist was going to pull me kicking and screaming into God knows where through a wardrobe – “don’t go into the light”. Dolls had always been a slight problem thanks to M.R. James and his haunted dolls houses and any number of ‘Tales of Mystery and Imagination’ on TV hadn’t helped, but clowns thankfully were just men in silly clothes.

I remember Coco the clown coming to visit our junior school to teach us about road safety - painted face, checked suit, flower and all. Technically, Coco wasn’t a clown but an auguste, that fool of a character who is always on the receiving end of the buckets of water and the custard pies - he still looked like a clown to me though. Back in 1960 he’d been involved in a serious road accident and this prompted him to devote himself to the promotion of road safety awareness in children, hence his visit. I can’t remember much about it, just an old guy with a painted face and a strong European accent who talked to us kids about looking and listening, both ways of course, and never to run out from behind parked ice cream vans. I got a signed photo though.

Perhaps from behind that painted mask of a face he was really luring us onto the roads to be devoured by speeding lorries, maybe he was going to pedal past on his unicycle and push one of us in front of a car, maybe he would drive up to us in his collapsible car, rev the engine, and then the car would gobble us up - could it be that he was really a road demon from outer space sent to collect the souls of children for the ringmaster of the lost souls circus?

Noo, this was long before Pennywise, Krusty, and that most evil clown of all Ronald McDonald. Coco was just an old man doing his bit for society – nothing to be scared of.

No… clowns are fine, there really is nothing to be scared of… (careful, he’s behind you.)

9 comments:

  1. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter Sellers on Facebook:
    What size do you do these at Andy and do you sell them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Peter I do and have recently started selling them in my own shop. This one is already framed and waiting to going into my shop. It's ink on watercolour paper signed and dated 2012. I rarely make prints. The frame size is 14.5 inches x 11.5 inches (burnished steel/window mounted) and the image area 10 inches by 7 inches.. This one is going in at £55.00. If you are interested let me know.

      Delete
  3. David Bell on Facebook:
    Flashback: When I was at the Bentley Lane infants school in Leeds c 1956, the original Coco the Clown made a visit. He appeared during assembly and we had been rehearsed to give him a mighty welcome and then we had to give him 'thumbnail clap', which involved - as you have guessed - clapping with our thumbnails to avoid disturbing the other classes. My abiding memory is of him is when he pulled a string and his hair stood up on end.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Coco doing that trick too David.

      Delete
  4. Della Jayne Roberts on Facebook:
    Our road safety mascot was Tufty the Squirrel. I joined the Tufty Club and got a handkerchief, stickers etc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Facebook between me and Lindsey Messenger:


    Lindsey, do you remember when Coco the clown came to John Hampden to teach us all about road safety? It's in my blog tonight.

    Lindsey Messenger yes i do....good blog.

    Andrew Height Thank God! Thought I'd dreamt it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pete Wright on FB
    Good article Andy. I remember Coco too. Loved the way his hair elevated at the partings when he feigned surprise!

    ReplyDelete