Wednesday 1 February 2012

End of...

I haven’t blogged for a couple of days but I can’t let today pass without putting out a few words.

Today is an anniversary; it was exactly a year ago today that I woke up jobless for the first time in my working life. A year - sometimes it seems like only yesterday and at other times a very, very, long time ago.

A year of change and remaining the same.
A year of learning and knowing nothing.
A year – and all in all a bad one.

Yes, I’ve learnt a few things about myself and others. I’ve learnt that when most people say they are going to do something they don’t, I’ve learnt that there’s a whole industry out there who really haven’t any manners or conscience at all, who don’t reply to e-mails or calls, who say they’ll call you back and don’t, who guarantee you all sorts of things and simply let you down. Frankly my dear, they don't give a shit.

It seems that trying to do your best, the right thing, being honest, trying to be helpful and looking on the bright side – well, it really isn’t worth it.

There, I said it would be a few words and already I’ve said too much. End of.

15 comments:

  1. Phillip Yeadon on Facebook:
    Not enough people people in the people business eh? Always though that as an acronym 'Human Resources' says it all....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine Halls-Jukes on Facebook:
    can not agree more....like I said before there is an after life and I hope you find it soon.................

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim Preston on Facebook:
    Andy, your blog just gave me strength at a bad time. You're a comrade in the war. C'mon you bastard. Get up and fight! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jees, wait til you've been out of work for--nevermind. Since you've got a smitch of time on your hands, how 'bout renting Walt Disney's Pollyanna? Not too far into it, they'll talk about "The Glad Game." In all kindness, I think you could stand to play it.

    Best wishes (<--and I sincerely mean that),
    SF~~~~~*

    P.S. It's going to be okay. It has to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SF - I'm doing what I can to reinvent myself.

      Delete
  5. Tony Payne commented on Facebook: "Andy, things will get better. I know its easy to say but look at the good things you have in life and appreciate them; Wife, children, home, good health, amazing creative abilities and initiative. A little business that will get bigger and bigger.
    You've had a shit 12 months and been knocked back and ignored. Their loss. Things will get better."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, that's me in the corner. That's me in the spotlight losing my religion... and when I did that doodle I had no idea what it meant. That is the power of the subconscious for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Common Andrew. You know, I am so many times jobless that I already got used to the idea. And I also noticed something: I've never been more creative as I was during the period when I was without a job. The job is not everything.In fact, job means less time for you and for the beautiful things that matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right I know but sometimes I wonder who the hell I am these days.

      Delete
    2. and I love being common :-). Thanks Roxana.

      Delete
    3. :)) hahahahaha! I wanted to say "Come on Andrew" I think you had a lot of fun with that.

      Delete
  8. David Bell on Facebook:
    Stick with it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Therese Nott on Facebok:
    I never "got" the idea of a mourning period when you leave a job.. it's taken me 3 years to realise that missing my old colleagues, work and that yellow book is exactly that.. It took a while but I knew when the time was right to get back to it! Stick with it.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey Andrew! How come a man with talent like you is wasting time with that sadness.You have something for people, something to do, to show. Free time is also a gift. Nothing is random, you know.It's time you achieve your creative dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm getting cross with you now Andrew

    ReplyDelete