Monday 20 February 2012

Living in my past…

"Another Monday, another week" I said.

You know, somebody told me to stop living in the past today. Facebook is a strange place, a place where comment can be interpreted in any way the reader wishes and strings of a conversation can grow like a Chinese whisper and what starts off as a flower can easily end up as a cabbage or even a slug. Words are so easily open to interpretation (thank God and damn it).

I posted about how much I miss driving to Scarborough on a Monday morning, I haven’t done it for over a year and I do miss driving to Scarborough on a Monday morning to meet with people I liked seeing. I do miss driving my company car, watching the sunrise as I powered along the rise and fall of the A64. My Monday mornings are dull these days compared to that, my week isn’t quite as hectic or as much fun, but hey it has its highs. Yes, I miss ‘back then’ and yes, I do want to remember and certainly don’t want to forget. ‘Back then’ was a really good time most of the time and those memories are my help on grey days (not that I need to get any help). Those memories make me smile.

Stop living in the past? Just why would I want to stop living in my past, it’s a good place to visit. Anyway, how could I stop even if I wanted to, how can any of us? We are the sum total of all our past experience, we are our pasts, that is how it is meant to be. Without our past experiences we are nothing, ask anyone who knows an Alzheimer sufferer. That spider crawling across our childhood pillow has become the scream each time we see a spider in a bath, just as each time I see a picture of a palm tree I’m immediately taken back to the most wonderful morning of my life. I can’t divorce my memory from my now and why would I want to, why would anyone even expect me to?

Our minds are full of memories, some up front and others locked in grey cabinets behind the doors of double locked rooms. Our subconscious can make us forget experiences that are too painful for us to remember. We all do it, we have a few incidents that we can hardly remember at all, still there but not known about. It’s a protection thing, a mechanism that nature has given us to keep us safe, similar to a mechanism that damps down our repetitive and boring experiences; how dull to remember each and every time you’ve washed up, every dish, plate and spoon.

There are ways to get to these hidden memories, access those rooms deep inside your mind and confront the experience that it makes so hard to find, it’s called regression therapy and it’s a powerful thing. Of course, you can try to live entirely in the present, shut off what’s in those double locked rooms, but everything is influenced by your past and I for one think that a good thing, a survival thing. If our past didn’t tell us that putting your hand into the fire might hurt, then you’d constantly put your hand into the flames for fun.

Yes, if there is one thing that I’ve learnt recently, living in the past, or at least reflecting on it, is a good thing. Without that how are we going to make our futures better? Putting it all behind you and soldiering on regardless, living entirely in the present. How stupid. How dangerous. Didn’t someone once say “Lest we forget”?

I’ll live where I want and I’ll keep my memories, even if it does mean I spend some of my time living in the past.

14 comments:

  1. I thought I noticed a slight admonishment before it was spirited away this morning. A tad harsh, I thought, a brisk telling off, even if well-intentioned.

    Still, it seems that it has made you think, and you've extracted a nugget of wisdom from it, so well done them say I... M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, be absolutely clear on what you say and the way you say it. Unfortunately Martin as we both know as experience bloggers you do need to read between the lines and see what lies beneath. Oh well, some people live in a world of their own making, others in a world they actually see. I know which I prefer.

      Delete
    2. You must be on Fezbook continuously to have caught that Martin. It was only there for moments before I erased it.

      Delete
    3. Nah... Just got "lucky" I guess... :-) Although I did wonder whether it would spark a day of general "tellings off"... M.

      Delete
  2. Tricia Kitt on Facebook:
    same sh*t, different day....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No different shit, same day :-)

      Delete
    2. and here's the string that followed

      Tricia Kitt lucky you!


      Richard Shore One of you has constipation and the other diarrhea

      Tricia Kitt oh, get lost, Mr Shore - wait until you're a proper miserable grown-up!

      Jamie Morden I did see the message this morning and i do agree with your post...the past is who you are and i'm sure you want to shout about the things you've done, seen and achieved...I certainly recognise this....and you have made a huge impact on people...for me, it's your creativity...yeah, spelling out how things should be done is one thing, but doing something that nobody has done before...that's what I admire...you made more of an impact on me than you realise...though your comparison to Les Dawson, dressed as a Woman was a bit harsh...lol

      Tricia Kitt sorry, Andi; just went back and read the whole post - I can tell you, it tolls for me! over the top of the M62 as the sun comes up, and looking forward to the invariable warm welcome.... it's easier to be flippant, at least for me. hey ho, life goes on and different sh*t is better than none at all...

      Richard Shore So its you who has diarrhea

      Delete
    3. Haha, you've made my day.

      Delete
  3. Therese Nott on Facebook: Andi, love this blog, I miss my m40 journeys!! I love coming onto fb to "see" the wonderful people I spent a big part of my life with.. why would we stop doing that..?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Della Jayne Roberts on Facebook:
    it was suggested that I try 'Mindfulness' (appreciating the fullness of each moment of life).
    ♥ To be fully present 'here and now'.
    But I am still sharing happy (as well as not so happy) memories with people here in Australia (some of my experiences they couldn't have - living in such a young country - staying in an ancient castle in Wales as a teenager .. Living in towns where buildings were built in the 13th Century ...).
    I really miss the ancient ruins and buildings that don't exist here ... and I am glad that I still have such wonderful memories of people, places and events from my past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick Jones on Facebook::
    Nick Jones There is something to be said for living in the present though. The here and now IS what really matters, and nothing is more tragic than someone on their deathbed realising they spent years wishing for something they could never attain again and missing out on the joys that surround them every day of their life. Of course, I'm not saying this applies to you, Andy, but it's a pitfall that can befall any of us at any time if we're not careful. Take what you've learned in the past and apply it to your present so you can improve your future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Richard Shore on Facebook:
    The past is a lot more predictable

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew Height Hi, yes I know about mindfulness but the flip side is repression, balance is the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was me who made the offending comment on FB. It was ill thought through and ill tempered of me for which I apologise whole heartedly. It has clearly caused great hurt and upset which was never my intention however naive that may appear in hindsight.
    Bernadette

    ReplyDelete