Tuesday 25 May 2010

The vegetable bug...

After last year I vowed that I’d never bother again. All that effort and hardly anything worth eating, the tomatoes got wilt, the courgettes mildew, the carrots were eaten by carrot fly, and the lollo rosso bolted – why bother?

But then the combination of sunshine and a wife who likes to grow her own produce and who assures me that home grown vegetables taste better (so long as I do all the work) managed to change my mind. So, off we went to the garden centre and before you know it I’m growing what will probably be the most expensive vegetables ever.

Here, take a look at this:
1 tomato house £7.99
1 large grow bag £4.99
2 self-watering
devices £3.00
Tomato food £0.89
Tomato plants (2) £3.00
Total £19.87


So, the best part of twenty quid to produce as best six pounds of tomatoes, making them £3.31 a pound - not including labour. Now there’s a bargain!

Worse still, now Gaynor’s got me started I won’t be able to stop. I’ve got the vegetable bug again. Already I’m growing sweet corn in a huge pot (£7.50), cucumbers in pots under a cloche (£12.90), lettuce in another pot (£3.00) and I’m in the process of growing a tumbling bush tomato in a hanging basket (£7.00). In total and to date I’ve spent over fifty quid and that doesn’t include herbs.

Those tomatoes had better taste a lot better than ones from Sainsburys.

Minestrone soup anyone?

5 comments:

  1. We grow many of our own vegetables, chicory, asparagus, aubergine. Sometimes I paint them and other times I just eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you seen the latest upside down toms and
    upside down toms

    ReplyDelete
  3. dwh?

    I think that could be my dad - and the answer is no and I repeat no.

    I'll have to ask him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Della Jayne Roberts commented on your Facebook:

    I read your blog ..... I've got a perpetual lettuce on my windowsill ($2.50 from Aldi) that will last forever (if I keep watering it) as I keep forgetting to use it. We buy loose mixed lettuce leaves (rocket, oak leaf, raddichio etc) for a couple of dollars a bag. I also grow oregano, parsley and rosemary (and other herbs) which don't get used like they should!!
    My olive trees have come back after the frost just about killed them. They are waiting to be transferred to the lovely big pots that they are sitting inside in their boring old plastic ones.
    I have a habit of keeping plants in pots and then putting them into bigger pots....

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've confirmed my worst fears about saving money doing ths stuff. I will now resist.

    ReplyDelete